DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica R lens quality

tbc

There is a reference in the R7 brochure, page 22, to a Leica Test Results Brochure #942 220. It is preceded by the comment "This meticulous craftsmanship is confirmed by top results in publications around the world". I have checked with Leica USA and Leica Solms with no success to find this brochure. Has anyone seen it (not the R7 brochure, but the test brochure), and can you summarize what was said (which publications, lenses, and tests?).

Tom:

I am not sure if this will help you, but there is a download available from Leica.

2r lenses.pdf about R lenses by Erwin Puts

Regards:

Gilbert

Hi! I'm a newbee and I'm very interested to the "Leica world". I would buy a R body and some lenses. But my question is: "which lenses?".
Generally I prefer portrait and macro.
Another question: which means "ROM" that is indicated on some lens?
thanks

CicLF> For the type of photography you describe I would go for the CicLF> 100/2.8 APO MACRO. There's also a 60mm MACRO, which I haven't CicLF> used. The lens I use most and like best is an Angenieux CicLF> 180/2.8, but it's not MACRO and will be very difficult to find.

Hi Danilo. Last things first. ROM stands for Read Only Memory-which indicates the presence of a Microchip inside the relevant 'R' Lens. This is of use in the R8/R9 where the metering system requires information such as ther lens focal length being used-automatically relayed to the camera via the chip when the lens is attached to the body.
As for lenses, a lot of this is going to depend on what you want from your photography. Although Zoom lenses such as the 80-200mm F4 and the 70-180mm F2.8 are superb, an equivalent fixed focal length will perform better-not so much in terms of resolution but in other terms such as vignetting,distortion,flare resistance to mention but 3.
Personally, I would agree with Dr Francis Ebury with thr choice of the 100mm F2.8 APO macro but would prefer a 180mm f3.4 APO Telyt-R rather than the Angenieux optic, though I'm aware that Angenieux are optically outstanding...IMHO a Leica camera should always be uses with Leica lenses.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Peter, I notice that Danilo's original post was nearly two years ago, so if he's still with us in this Forum he might tell us which lenses he did buy and how he found them.

Many of the pictures in 'My Photo Album' were taken with the 100/2.8 so you can see why I like 'short telephoto'.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ferrymanau

Dr. Ebury:

Thanks for sharing your very interesting and exquisite travel photographs! I feel as though I have been around the world and to many places I'll never be able to visit.

Regards:

Gilbert

Hi Dr Ebury,

Just to say I'm in total agreement with Gilbert regarding your travel photographs, if you don't make a living out of producing work to this standard then you ought to IMHO.

I would love to have a little more info such as film used, shutter speed,aperture and processing lab etc unless you've gone digital (arrgh!!).

Just one other quick point, the introduction of the 90mm F2 APO Summicron-R. Have you used this optic? If so whats your opinion?

Regards,

Peter.

Hi, Peter. Many thanks for your kind comments. No, I'm not a professional photographer. My Ph.D thesis was on a History of Photography subject though, and you can read a bit about my activities in that area on my web site http://febury.com.

I don't normally provide details about my pictures since I find that most people who look at them aren't really interested in the technical stuff. Besides which, pre-digital, the only SLR camera I have which can record that information is a Nikon F4 with data back. Many of those 'travel' photographs date back a while and I wasn't always scrupulous about keeping a record when using slide or film.

I have gone digital. My first serious camera was a Pentax Spotmatic, and I bought a Pentax DSLR in order to use the lenses. But I still love my R6 and the beautiful Leitz and Angenieux lenses. As I said, most of the 'travel' photographs were taken using the R6 and the 100/2.8.

If you look at the little section on my Picasa site of Spiders' webs, all the pictures there are digital except the album cover picture which was taken with my Angenieux 180 and Astia 100. I did a test taking that particular shot with D, film and slide. I thought slide won hands down!

Kind regards

Back