DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Looking for a GOOD lens for my Nikon D7200

As far as I remember Thom Hogan was very impressed with the newest iteration of the 70-300 Nikkor. I used only the FX version with the Z mount adapter on a Nikon Z6 and I liked it.

I used the AF-P 70-300E a lot on my D7500 and also on my D750. Great lens. Sharp, good reach and lightweight. Finally sold it and now I use the Nikon 70-200 f4 VR and the AF-S 80-400 with 1,4TC on Z-camera's

I do a lot of Sports, Airshows, and Panorama photography. I have pretty basic Zoom lens 200-400 without stability, and just does not give me sharp photographs, at least not to my liking. So, I am looking for recommendations to upgrade, without breaking the bank with a $3,000 lens. I would like to stay in the 400mm range, but would like recommendations on something with image stabilization also, and a little better lens quality. Any recommendations?? F Mount.

I too recommend the Sigma 150-600mm (Contemporary). I love it. I tried the 50-500, but I could barely lift it, lol.

My ten years old Tamron 150-600 G1 is one of the lenses I use the most frequently. The G2 version is at least as good.

This photo was taken with a Nikon D850 equipped with the Tamron I mentioned, at 600 mm. It has been cropped by about half in both dimensions, which means that a 1200 mm would have been needed to get a similar image covering the whole frame.

850_7837.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D850
  • 150-600 mm f/5.0-6.3
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/2500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 2000

It has been cropped by about half in both dimensions, which means that a 1200 mm would have been needed to get a similar image covering the whole frame.

That is impressive. The image too... :)

That is impressive. The image too... :)
Thank you Dirk. The one below has also been taken at 600 mm and is similarly cropped.

850_6785.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D850
  • 150-600 mm f/5.0-6.3
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1250 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 640

Thanks, I will take a look at that one.
If the weight isn't an issue try the Sigma 150-600 Sports as well. Really rugged design and very fast focusing!

As you, like me, are getting older, the 500 PF might fit in?! Excellent sharpness, and a light lens. No zoom might be a problem.

I would recommend the Nikon 1 V3 (with viewfinder - an extra part) and the fantastic 70-300 CX (equals a 190-810mm on a fullframe camera. Just under one kilo, total!). The lens has maintained its price since new, while the cameras vary a lot. I use the J5 which can't take an EVF, sadly. So I use a Hoodman loupe, and it works quite well!

Back