DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News Lumix S9 - small fullframe camera not only for content creators

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
Today at 3pm London time, the NDA will be lifted for the new Pansonic Lumix S9 fullframe camera with L-Mount.

Many rumors travelled around the internet and some information leaked already.

This here is the Lumix S9 party thread, in which we can share youtube reviews, images and information about the new Lumix S9. We watch them together and discus them together. A real Lumix S9 party. :z04-dance00:

Join us and have fun with all the different reviews of the Lumix S9!

What we know so far about the S9:

• No VF
  • Electronic shutter
  • Slightly bigger than Sigma fp
  • Articulating screen
  • 24MP
  • Fullframe
  • IBIS
  • 4 different colours
  • 18-40 mm kit zoom
  • 26/8.0 manual focus FFL
  • Shipping September/October
  • Cheaper than S5ii, maybe even more (significantly) cheaper than only 300$ less.
  • Maybe the 26/8.0 for free
The rumor sites are talking about some technological innovation, not seen yet in other cameras. What could that be?

Did Panasonic found a solution for the rolling shutter effect? Or is the electronic shutter made in a way that you will not miss the mechanical shutter?

The S9 has to have something that stands out compared to the Sigma fp. Otherwise it would not make sense.

Here are some images:

Lumix_S9_front.jpg

Lumix_S9_top.jpg

Lumix_S9_back.jpg

Lumix_S9_sider.jpg

Lumix_26mm.jpeg

I could imagine this in a similar use case like my GM5. As a travel camera. As small as possible but still fullframe, similar to the Sigma fp. The 26mm lens is really small. F8 is fine for landscape/city as long as it is so small and easy to carry.

I am curious what Richard Wong will say in his YouTube review. He was invited at the Lumix event with some other YouTubers a couple of days ago.

I've always been interested in the Pentax Q sized GM 5. I'll pay attention to this new camera. The pancake lens is really small.
Thanks,
barondla

I've always been interested in the Pentax Q sized GM 5. I'll pay attention to this new camera. The pancake lens is really small.
Thanks,
barondla

Yes that lens is small as it gets :)

I still have mixed feelings about the S9. I compare it always to the Sigma fp and think about the differences like IBIS. But I am not sure whether that would be the trigger for me. I would use it only for photography.

The price of the S9 is IMHO too high. I am sure it will fall a couple of hundreds USD within the next 3-6 months. A smartphone user will not pay that price for his fist real fullframe camera.

Back