DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M7 with Voigtlander 15mm f45

This is a very nice lens (15mm) and worth buying, ..if you need such a wide angle.
I have used one for 12 months and will continue using it from time-to-time.

William

Many thanks to Bill for the offer of a loan of the lens, but I've now bought one (from Robert White in the UK - cheapest price I've seen anywhere, including Ebay. Everyone has been really helpful with this posting, but the clincher was a posting in a new thread about the same lens in the M-lenses section. There are some interesting images there, and he criticises it appropriately so that I'm not expecting the same quality as my 24mm Aspherical, but it will be good on the right occasion.

Lens arriving tomorrow - will post a picture or two soon (if they work!).

Thanks once again

The lens arrived yesterday. Put a test film through it (on an M2). There were also some shots on the 24mm Elmarit Asph.

Obviously the Voigtlander isn't as good. It was noticeable on scanning them in that the 24mm had much more bite. This is probably to be expected, as the Leica lens is 5x or 6x more expensive, is not a phenominally short focal length, and is in any case supposed to be one of their best lenses.

I am pleased with the Voigtlander images. Obviously the focusing is not rangefinder coupled, and guesstimation of distance needs to be a little more accurate. The film was an ISO 400, so the grain doesn't do anything to enhance the pictures. Am putting a Velvia 50 through on the M7 now, and that should show what it's like! Interested to see how it copes with metering, as well.

Definitely pleased I've got the lens. As was said in another posting, it is good on the right occasion.

Thanks Andrew for your feedback. I did look long and hard on the possibility of getting a CV lens of 15 mm, but wondered if I would be wasting my money with the resulting pics since I have had such pleasing results with my Summicron 35/2 asph. In the end, I opted for a 21/4 CV lens - still don't know why I chose this over the CV 15mm! Definitely, the Leica's 21mm and 24 mm is beyond my reach and I do not take photos for a living - purely for my plessure.

Rgds
Daniel

By the way, there's not much point using the CV 15mm on an M7 since it isn't rangefinder coupled. You might as well get the Voigtlander Bessa L which is about $75 and has a built in meter. It's an excellent camera for this purpose.

I use my 15mm on my Canon IV (an old rangefinder) and my Leica MD. I meter manually or just guestimate.

Karen

Back