DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Maintenance & Repair of Lens optics

sendhil76

Hello Everyone,

Last week i was quite shocked to see fungus growth on the rear element of my Sigma 18-50 F2.8 lens. It was quite small, about 2mm or so. Nevertheless i was worried as fungus does irreparable damage to lens optics.

Its actually my mistake that i did not perform preventive maintenance on my equipment after a long and extensive tour just a month back.

I would like to share two links which i referenced to help me with my problem:

http://www.zeisscamera.com/doc_lenscare.shtml

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9/Contents-Frame/3CFD45E4A65DEC10C12571000056AC85

Both reference Carl Zeiss who in my opinion are one of the best in optics engineering if not the best :)

The first one is a 1905 manual :) and the second is a very current link to Zeiss Germany service and support page!

Personally, i used the cigarette ash method for my current lens problem as using straight micro-fiber cloth did not work, so was the case with breathing on the lens and distilled water. (I did not have naptha handy.)

Cigarette ash worked like a charm :) lens is now as good as new and now i intend to ensure that this does not happen again!

Hope this information is useful to you in maintaining your lens optics!

Thanks and stay well.
Sendhil.

P.s: In my search for relevant information i came across exotic techniques to clean and repair lenses...some utilizing cold cream and kerosene!!! Can anyone explain how these work to clean lenses?? Not that i am going to try them on my lenses :)

Hi Sendhil and welcome to the forum! :)

Though I am no expert on fungus problems ... I once had the problem with a 400mm Beroflex telephoto-lens that became wet in a cold cellar.
I put it to pieces then (not as complicated as with modern lenses) and simply polished the affected lens-units. That treatment was successful. I frequently use this lens with my SIGMAs now. :)

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Hello Klaus,

How did you polish the lenses? Can you detail the procedure please! I am very interested in knowing about this procedure :)

Also to add to my original post, the Schneider manual recommends saliva as a perfect cleaning fluid!!

To quote "Always available, guaranteed free of abrasive materials, oil and aggressive chemical substances"

I guess sometimes the best things in life are 'really' free :)

Thanks and stay well!
Sendhil.

Hi Sendhil,

as mentioned ... I am no expert on the issue. Since the old Beroflex is no expensive lens to be replaced, I was courageous enough simply to use a smooth cloth wetted slightly with a bit of isopropyl.

I am not sure, whether there are better ways probably more gentle towards the lens's coating.

However fungus is said to destroy lens-coatings anyway .....?!

My result was good. The Beroflex looks clean since and works very well.

By the way ... the Beroflex' range (300mm/400mm/500mm) is an insider's tip for very cheap and high quality telephoto lenses. :)

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Thanks Klaus!

And i have noted your "insider tip" for the Beroflex lenses :) though at the moment i am working on understanding how best to use my recent M42 lens purchases!

Stay well.
Sendhil.

Back