DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Monopods

Hi Lynn,

I have a monopod but have never really got into the habit of carrying it regularly. Seeing the responses above has made me realise I ought to change that though! However, my best tip for a compact, lightweight camera support would still be to get a decent table-top tripod, if you don't have one already. I've got the Manfrotto one, with a mini ball head, and I've used it on countless occasions. It beats a full-sized tripod hands down if you want a low angle shot, although you do need an angle-finder for that or you end up lying on the ground. It's also great in social photography when there's a bit of table space available, and can be braced against walls very effectively.

HTH

-= mike =-

Thanks so much for all your great suggestions. I'm so glad I asked! The idea of the monopod doubling as a walking stick is a good one. And further still, the suggestion of using a monopod that looks like a walking stick in places where tripods and such are forbidden has instant appeal to me. In fact, I have been planning day trips to Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin, the Johnson Wax Building and Johnson's Wingspread (all Wright designs) where I think a standard walking stick might be accepted. (Taliesin officials severely frowned on the idea of a tripod)

Thanks too for the idea of how to brace the monopod for use. That does make sense. I'll have to practice a little with that.

Your other suggestions really created new ideas for me. I hadn't thought about it before, but a monopod would be so much handier than a tripod in the early morning dew - I have struggled with those three tripod legs getting tangled or not sitting where I want them in high grass or brush. One leg would be so much easier.

Security wasn't something I had thought about - but that's another good point about dodgy folks thinking twice about bothering a person carrying a metal stick
happy.gif
That's definitely a plus!

And finally, thanks too for the ideas about bean-bags, cl&s, and tabletop tripods. All useful tools. Although I think Hans idea about using a bean bag for a siesta is the most creative
happy.gif

By the way, a link for anyone who is interested. I was reading about walking sticks that are also used for monopods, and found one photographer recommended a stick he got from Cascade Designs. I found their site and found several of their sticks have a removable walnut knob that reveals a threaded camera mount. One folds down quite small - others vary in size. I'm going to check this out. The link is here for the smallest when disassembled:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/tracks/travel.asp?Action=CompactTravelStaff

Again, thank you! -Lynn L

I had a large monopod given to me, but found that a lightweight, compact unit was more useful. I found myself reaching for a light tripod rather than the large monopod when I didn't use my heavy tripod.

The table top tripod is also most useful when you don't carry a larger tripod.

Hi Lynn;

Leitz make a small tabletop tripod that is highly recommended. It is quite stable and strong, and the legs spin around so they can be locked at any angle to brace against one's body. It fits readily into the back pocket of a Billingham bag, and does not weigh much. Perfect for a 50MM lens (but obviously not for a long telephoto).

Good luck with it!

Dear Lynn,
I have something called a CamCane which used to be marketed by Billingham the camera bag people. I have had it for years and I think it is excellent but I don't know if they still do it as I cannot find it on their web site which is www.billingham.co.uk/
It is a yellow walking stick with an internal extending column controlled by push buttons on the head and which can be locked at any length. It is made of carbon fibre.
The top is a comfortable unscrewable ball and it "connects" to the camera by resting on a rubber cup which screws into the tripod mount. It is very convenient.
If you require more stability you can buy a bendy head for the monopod which screws into the camera tripod bush like a normal monopod but it is easily adjusted for position.
You can also get a curved screw on handle on which you can rest a lens.
I like it very much and usually carry it on holiday with the optional leather strap. I was mortified when I left my first one at Heathrow Airport en route to New York and when I got home no one had handed it in to left luggage. I bought a new and improved one straight away.
A bonus is that all the rubber parts smell of vanilla!
Best wishes,
John

Leki and others do a proper trekking pole, collapses down, where the handle unscrews to provide a camera monopod. Also there are L shaped cl&s that fit a camera to any trekking pole. Try REI or any Outdoor shop
Ian

Back