DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Moonset

Hello guys,
This morning, I saw for the first time what I call a "moonset". I don't even know if this word exists.
The first picture was shot with the J5 at 6:42. It's a bit dark, and you can just guess the sea under the moon.
Very impressed, I grabbed my D7200, attached the 70-300, and took the second picture. The horizontal line is the sea, the moon being slowly going down under.
VERY strange!!!
Needless to say, no photoshop or whatever. Only DxO.
DSC_3560.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON 1 J5
  • 1 NIKKOR VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6
  • 13.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1.3 sec
  • Spot
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 3200

DSC_4679.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D7200
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/160 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 8000

Wow! Quite intriguing, to say the least. An incredible phenomenon you were able to capture. Thanks for sharing, Andre!

Hello guys,
This morning, I saw for the first time what I call a "moonset". I don't even know if this word exists.
The first picture was shot with the J5 at 6:42. It's a bit dark, and you can just guess the sea under the moon.
Very impressed, I grabbed my D7200, attached the 70-300, and took the second picture. The horizontal line is the sea, the moon being slowly going down under.
VERY strange!!!
Needless to say, no photoshop or whatever. Only DxO.
View attachment 434

View attachment 435
That is amazing! I have never seen anything like it, great capture André
regards
Gary

This is a great capture, first price for the early bird! Have only seen anything similar for a sunset, never such a moon fata morgana. The moon structures make it look like liquid metal!
Exactly. Molten metal. Very strange. We'll see this night how it goes.

Back