DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Negative or transparency film?

I guess that the problem for the G4's is maybe not endurance as much as danger of being damaged by a voltage spike in the electricity. However, I think this looks interesting. Would these drum scanners provide better quality than an Epson V750?

Where can one buy these?

Cheers,

Ronald

Hello Ronald,

You hit the nail on the head.
These scanners are meant to be used with SCSI ports and older generatiom MAC technology.
Even CPU's faster than 800 Mhz give problems. It prevents the software from the scanner to start.

That and the fact that an ante-diluvian G4 MAC is needed to make processing possible is what made me decide not to proceed.

A scanner with a working G4 + SCSI will be around 700 euro.
Scanners no longer supported by the Japanese factory are not encouraging either.

Still the images from these older machines are quite good.
Only question is howlong will the Mac etc last?

Paul

Hello Ronald,

Anything that ends the life of the G4 with SCSI board ends the chance to use the drum scanner.
Wilko knows this stuff and gave me a local site where s/h MACs are for sale.
There was not one G4 offered with SCSI technology.
All G4 Macs for sale had USB on board.
That is what made me decide not to buy this drum scanner.
The decision was supported by the fact that the Japanese manufacturer does not service this product anymore.

Drum scanners are designed for professional use by the graphic industry.
The top of these machines can give 20.000 DPI.
The one I had in mind was a table top version with a respectable 5000 DPI.
That is more than the best flatbed scanner can give.

Send me a pm with your email address and I will inform you about the seller.

I found this drum scanner advertised in evilbay.
Think again before you buy!

Gr,
Paul

Back