DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Epson Printers for Contax Images

G

Anyone have or is using any of the new Epson printers to output Contax images?

I'm specifically interested in either the 2200 or larger 24" wide version that's about $3,000.

Diane,

If you are on a budget, the Epson 820 is pretty good for up 8x10 print. It only costs $90 which is about the price of the Epson 2200 replacement inks (total 7 inks).

If you want quality, I highly recommand the Epson 2200.

I am interested in buying a printer. I note that Albert strongly recommends the Epson 2200, the model I am leaning towards. Two questions:

Has anyone used this with Macintosh, specifically a G4 wih OS X (10.1)?

Does anyone have experience with other printers in this general price range? (US $500-900)?

Thank you

Bernard,

I have an Epson 2000P. I would NOT recommend it for precision color control. I have made many beautiful prints with it but the colors have been often very tough to control. Yes, I have a calibrated monitor. I even attended a color management workshop at Cone Editions. I purchased a profile from Cone. Still I had problems. (I must say Cone offered to work with me more on the profiles).

I am just now setting up a 2200 as a replacement. I will let you know how it goes.

As for Mac versus the PC, you probably should not be concerned. At the Cone Edition workshops, they use a mix of PCs and Macs. Macs have had better color control at the monitor end but even this difference is negligible. As for printing, It appeared Cone used PCs for actually printing to their Epsons 7000s and 9000s.

Fred

I would say buy a non-beta OSX first. I don't think firewire is supported with 10.1 not to mention nothing in the future will be supported for that beta.

> I am interested in buying a printer. I note that Albert strongly > recommends the Epson 2200, the model I am leaning towards. Two > questions: > > Has anyone used this with Macintosh, specifically a G4 wih OS X > (10.1)?

> This is not a beta version of the OS. I was just saying I don=B9t use 10.2. > Sorry if I was unclear.

> Marc, > > Thanks for the opinion. I take it you have one and are quite pleased. Could > you elaborate a bit?

I just purchased the epson Photo Stylus 960 and have printed a number of pictures with excellent results. The model you inquire about is similar except it prints larger format and has some features my doesn't The principle difference between this printer and others is the use of 6 ink cartridges to give the print closer to photo quality. As far as papers and quality I don't think there is anything better than the epson, and the 2200 is perhaps the best one. I am waiting for a free cd printer which was offerred at the time, but still haven't received it. I compared the prints I have with photo prints done on the noritzu photo processor and see very little, if any difference in the quality. There is still a richness to regular photo prints that outshines the computer generated prints, but so far I am happy with the prints. My printer is a lot less, at about 400, and given the market, if you don't have to print large format all the time, the 960 is a great comprimise. RC

The Epson 2200 is the best photo printer ever offered for less than $2,000. Buy it and don't look back; you WON'T find better in a desktop solution. BTW, it works fine with my dual 1.25 G4 & 10.1 and later.

Back