DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New FM3a vs used F3

polizonte

There is a substantial price difference between these two cameras - I just bought a used (mint) F3T mailorder and 2 AIS lenses locally - For the price of the F3, I could have bought an FM3a and saved $400*US) Also I just realized that the module of my Sunpak 555 provides TTL only with an FM3a. As an amateur on a limited budget, I worry about the LCD's, etc. The only advantage of the F3 is the bright viewfinder- flash use seems easier with the FM3a. Any suggestions?

The main advantage of the F3 is that it is built for photojournalists who bang it around, put dozens of rolls through it each day and must absolutely rely upon it. The secondary advantage is that it can be reconfigured in many ways - viewfinders, screens, motor drive and so on, to meet very specific needs of the user.

For the amateur who is not shooting constantly and whose livelihood does not depend upon it, it offers little advantage.

larry!
ICQ 76620504
http://www.larry-bolch.com/

Tom,

As a professional, I shoot with three Nikon F2 bodies. If I were forced to replace my aging F2 bodies, I would much rather replace them with a brand new FM3a rather than a used F3. Compared to the F3, the FM3a would not give me a large choice of viewfinder screens, high motor drive speeds, bulk film backs, and the ability to change finders. However, I would have great peace of mind depending on a brand new FM3a rather than a used and possibly abused F3.

I returned the F3T, & my new FM3a arrived plus a credit of $280! I have not tried my old Sunpak 555 w/new NE-2D module yet! I am still looking for a 1:1 close-up lens - I sold the Micro 105mm AIS. Thanks again Tom

Thanks everyone - I ended up with a new FM3a and a mint 180 AIS - the macro survived an attempted carjacking 3/15/04 only to be sold to Jim Kuehl; I was actually sitting in my truck, talking on the
cellphone to the store where I had purchased the lens, when a guy opened the door, punched me,
broke my nose but only got my wallet w/ $14. In the ER they told me I had sustained a head injury -Does this accounts for my buying a D70 w/o lens? Now that I have come to my senses...

Tom

Congratulations on the FM3A, they are IMHO amongst the best mechanical/manual cameras ever produced. I recon you will want to use it much more than the D70. Sell it and put the money to more good optics for your real camera. (LOL)

It sounds like you are putting together a rather nice versatile kit, have fun with your photography and report back on how both cameras are going.

Cheers Craig

Back