DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New M9040 Macro Lens

Thanks guys. The review mentioned collapsible so I assumed ie was similar to my old style 90MM or the new style 50MM2.8.
Since I still use the DR 50 Summicron, I'll still (probably) pass on the 90.
Since I suppose I'm old-fashioned(and pobbably the oldest on the forum), I'll stick to the lenses I have. Hell, I still enjoy the Visiflex one with the 125MM and 200MM.

Ebenezer: I wont argue with you about who is the oldest of this forum, anyway chronological age and mental age do not always have a fixed correlation. I also use a dual range 50mm.Summicron and have a 90mm f/2,8 M I like enough not to think about the new macro 90 mm. But I am tempted to buy a Viso 3 and a 280mm. f/4,8 (I already have a 135mm f/2,8 with eyes that is bulky but has a very accurate focus on my M3). How does the visoflex handles ? Is it easy to shoot hand held photos ?? Thanks Mariano

> Hello Ebenezer

I too own and use the Hektor 125/2.5 on both my Leicaflex SL2 and on the M bodies with the Visoflex II Still very happy - thanks to Justin.

Joseph Low

mariano: i use the visoflex III with the OTXVO 90=BA magnifier on an M6 and = a hektor 125. it's a litle heavy in use combination, but the results are great! . to measure light i first set the viso in the black dot, pressure the arm a little, just enough to rise the mirror up and activate the lightmeter, set the diaphragm and/or speed, then turn to the yellow dot in the viso and shot. i enjoy it so much!, and for me it's far more funny than with a reflex.

patricio

Any lens you don't appreciate is a waste of coin - this is one I would love to shoot with, so I think, contrary to the last post, that it is coin well spent.

28-300 AF Minolta Mount Tokina lens, now that is a waste of coin for me (I have no Minolta, dislike such wide-ranging zooms and find AF SLR's to be annoying) ;-)

Cheers, to the positive people!
- marc

even erwinspeak states that it's NOT optimized for infinity, so would make this a useless travel lens. the 400 euro tele-elmarit is lighter and is 2.8

I use my Leicas quite a bit, and find the new 90/4 an ideal companion to my Tri-Elmar as my normal 'carry with me' rig. The TE stays on the M with its case on and the 90 collapses and goes with the hood reversed and the cap on in my pocket. With this set up, and a couple rolls of film in my other pocket, I get of 'chance' shots that I would otherwise miss. It is also a lot easier to haul with me when I am doing other things. If I am going to plan on shooting a specific subject, I have other lens. But for general use and minimum size, weight and lack of 'fuss' the T-E and the new 90/4 (and I have not interest in the macro adapter) gives me an ideal two lens 'travel kit' from 28 to 90 all at f4. Sure, my 90 2.0 is faster and perhaps optically superior, but it is a TAD larger and the T-E goes off in a flash and the 90/4 mounts and pops up for use a lot faster by pulling one off and the other out of my pocket, rather than fishing through a case and mounting a much larger lens. No, having the 90 is quite useful and this is a fast way to have that focal length around. (Takes great pictures too.)

thanks for this string of posts, i've enjoyed it. i didn't know this lens was for real until i happened across it the other day on the leica site.

i'd been daydreaming about the visoflex plus bellows to do pictures of dead plants i've been wanting to do for a long time. wonder if this new 90 would be an ideal lens on the bellows?

not sure if this lens would get as close as i want, but i am pretty thrilled to see it. small, light, and excellent contemporary optics, i'm sure. it's good to see leica being creative. i have the tele-elmarit and love it's size. i'm not one to want to lose speed, but thinking i could do closer-up work w/o lugging a tripod plus visoflex and bellows sounds awesome!

though the lens is not optimized for infinite- how much does this really matter? i'm sure it's still pretty good?

Back