DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Project 52 for 2024

Very interesting. I like the shadows, too. The ball and the hoop look "official" but the backboard appears to be made for a studio setting. What was the shooting environment and how did you set this up?
Thank you John for this analysis. You are absolutely right. This photo was taken on the Canon stand at the Salon de la Photo in Paris. Part of the stand was devoted to a show of professional basketball players that served to demonstrate the ability of Canon's flagship camera to shoot fast-moving sports.

This was a repeat of my previous message, which I do not know how to erase. Sorry.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I totally understand... fast-moving INDOOR sports. You need REALLY GOOD equipment to get REALLY GOOD results. I remember when our son was younger (in high school) -- trying to shoot basketball games (with a D300 and then a D7100). Even with 2.8 lenses (70-200 VR1 and 17-55 DX). Lots of high-ISO. And with those cameras, lots of noise. But... the LIGHTING in the various gyms was a HUGE factor. And it takes practice. Since I PLAYED basketball in my younger days, I had a good feel for "anticipating" the action and getting myself set-up for a shot. At least an ATTEMPT at a shot! Multiple bursts. Then weed through the images. Typical drill. LOL. Thanks for the insight.

42/52:

I had a meeting downtown that finished a little earlier than planned, so I had a few minutes to spare. Took a short walk around the block with the 20mm and decided to point the campea "up" since there are several tall buildings in the immediate area (some are older from the mid/late-1980s and some newer within the last 10-20 years, roughly). Cloudy day, so the light was a little weird and with the gray skies, I could see that I need to clean my sensor! I will do that one of these days. I cleaned the sensor on D300 and D7100 - so I do have some practice. But I have not cleaned the D810 sensor... yet. I try to make my lens changes quickly in protected areas. But still, the dust will show up at some point. Especially at f/11. It's not something I look forward to doing! For this picture, I cloned-out most of the spots. I think. Always fun to shoot even if it is just a spur of the moment thing.

1201-3rd-ave-crop by J.E. Frantzen, on Flickr

42/52:

I had a meeting downtown that finished a little earlier than planned, so I had a few minutes to spare. Took a short walk around the block with the 20mm and decided to point the campea "up" since there are several tall buildings in the immediate area (some are older from the mid/late-1980s and some newer within the last 10-20 years, roughly). Cloudy day, so the light was a little weird and with the gray skies, I could see that I need to clean my sensor! I will do that one of these days. I cleaned the sensor on D300 and D7100 - so I do have some practice. But I have not cleaned the D810 sensor... yet. I try to make my lens changes quickly in protected areas. But still, the dust will show up at some point. Especially at f/11. It's not something I look forward to doing! For this picture, I cloned-out most of the spots. I think. Always fun to shoot even if it is just a spur of the moment thing.

1201-3rd-ave-crop by J.E. Frantzen, on Flickr
What an amazing camera! I cannot decide whether I like the branch on the top right or would prefer it removed.

Yes... I though about that too. :) LOL. It was late in the evening and I had already been cloning-out dust spots and fixing a bunch of "stitching boo boos" in a panorama -- and my heart wasn't in it. But now that you mention it... I will clone it out. Because... YES... it crossed my mind, too! Good call. THANKS. JF

Back