DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New ZS Zeiss lenses for ContaxYashica mount

Well, with all my respect to Nikon and Canon brands (I own and frequently use Canon 1V - this is the real performer too), there is something else about Contax gear... I'd call it "look and feel" or even "soul". It's not so hi-tech equipped, but it's so pleasant to use, that I prefer my RTS III over the 1V whenever it's possible. Sorry, this note might be off-topic. Just wanted to share...
talker.gif

I wouldn't consider Canon's body very soulful. Perhaps we can call the Canon body the universal recipient because they can accept lenses of many different mounts.

Although I have not been using Nikon's bodies, I heard that the Nikon F could be the best SLR body ever made. Like RTSIII, they have 100% viewfinder and mirror lock and these features were introduced in 1950s. They are mechanical as well, so less worries with electronic failure. Part of the reason that Zeiss decided to introduce the ZF lenses is because the Nikon F bodies are good and there are plenty of them around.

So I need to decide whether to get the Nikon F bodies or get the ZS lenses.

I doubt that Zeiss will produce the real stellar lenses from the C/Y collection in either ZF or ZS mounts. 55/1.2, 85/1.2, 70-200/3.5, or the 35-135/3.5. Although, these are ridiculously expensive, so the new offerings sure would be welcome.

I think the F6 is a really interesting alternative because it offers the latest advancements in metering, etc., can accept various focussing screens, plus provides focus confirmation in the viewfinder. It's the only way to get fully automated aperture control other than with a Contax body ... and there are Nikon lenses that are actually pretty good that you can also use: ( 85/2.8 T/S Macro, which allows you to alter the plane of focus to increase DOF, 105DC & 135 DC, 200/2 ED AF VR which is getting rave reviews for it's improved Bokeh over previous Nikon long lenses, and allows hand holding at lower shutter speeds).

Canon cameras with CS lenses need to be manually stopped down. Which is PITA unless you always shoot wide open or just a stop or two down from wide open.

Unless you're shooting slow moving scenes
lol.gif
. I'm gearing up to go do some stop-down metering in the island of Langkawi in Malaysia, flying out this Wednesday for some badly needed R&R away from work. Hopefully I'll be back on the 25th with a few fairly sharp and well-exposed images
uhoh.gif

I went to the second hand shop to try some Nikon bodies.

I love the Nikon F2 and its derivatives. It can be purely mechanical, very rugged, really something to rely on. Most important of all, the weight of the mirror is very light and does not creat much vibration when it hits the roof. It has a mirror lock. I would be quite happy to use it with the new ZF lenses.

I think F6 is for someone like Marc for his job when speed is important, it is a bit too expensive for me and I don't need much high tech electronics. I am those kind of people happy with slow mechanical stuff.

Back