DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News from Zeiss on Wednesday

Thanks Ugo,

I must say that I agree with you now that the Macro lens has f2 and this is indeed the first time that I see a macro lens with f2.

Although one of you say the distagon is 28 f2, I believe it is 35mm f2. I compare the DOF scale of this new distagon with my 28mm f2 C-Y and 35mm 1.4 C-Y. The DOF suggests it to be a 35mm rather than 28mm.

The conclusion is 50-60 f2 macro and 35mm f2.

Like John, I'm very interested to find out what those two 'Digiprime' 40 and 14 lenses are in the background. Anyone got any news on these?

Apparently the Digiprimes are cinematography lenses. But why picture them with the Nikon?
Are they hinting at something to come?

Thanks Matt.
That is intriguing unless it was just a slip on the part of the marketing department.

''The making of a lens to f2 rather than f2.8 will reduce its performance in all f nos."

OK, let me explain why.

If you compare lenses of the same generation, my ex&les are Leica preASPH 90 2 and 90 2.8(both R and M) ,C-Y 85 1.4, C-Y 85 2.8, and many others. You will come to the conclusion that the bigger is the largest aperture, the worse is the performance in other f no. For ex&le, the f2.8 of C-Y85 1.4 is not as good as f2.8 of C-Y85 2.8. f2.8 of R90 2preASPH is not as good as the 2.8 of R90 2.8.

I can name you more

f2 of M35 1.4 ASPH is not as good as f2 of M35 2 ASPH

R35 2 at 2.8 is not as good as R35 2.8 at 2.8

C-Y 50 1.4 is not as good as C-Y 50 1.7 by small margin.

I have tried the conversion of C-Y 85 1.4 to 85 f2 by occluding light entering the lens using cardboard. Basically you reduce the area of light entering the lens into half. By doing this, the f2, f 2.8 improves as well.

The basic rule is that the larger is the biggest aperture, the worse is the performance of the lens.

Exception to this general rule includes C-Y 85 1.2, Leica 90f2 ASPH, C-Y 28 f2. The last exception to this rule could be the new ZF 50-60 f2. The design of these lenses allows it to have a large aperture with preservation of clarity at higher fnos.

I think the DigiPrimes are just PR.
From the Camera Lens News: "ZF lenses provide Nikon F-mount cameras with the creative potential and phototechnical performance available so far only in the Contax system. In addition, ZF lenses incorporate new technical advances from the ZEISS Ultra Prime®, Master Prime® and DigiPrime® lenses for motion picture cameras. Results have been seen in feature films like "Lord of the Rings", "Alexander", "King Arthur", "Air Force One", "Collateral", "King Kong" and many commercials and music clips."
Zeiss just want to link the ZF to the DigiPrimes

Karsten

Thank you Chi Yuan Joseph for the explenation. It will be very interesting to see the performance of the new ZF Makro-Planar.

Hi all,

Firstly, re the two mysterious ZF lenses..I actually made a post about these over a day ago on the 'Zeiss lost the plot' string. The makro-Planar looks virtually identical to the C/Y 60mm f2.8 'C' lens and so seems to be a ZF 60/2 Makro. The ZF Distagon is odd...the dof scale suggests quite a wide angle..28mm or even 24mm, but the focus scale suggets a much longer focal length..are Zeiss altering photos to confuse us? it must surely though from a marketing view be a ZF 28mm f2? it would make sense to market a macro and a 28mm as the two next lenses.

Secondly re f2 macro lenses...Olympus released two Zuiko ones for the OM cameras; one was a 50mm f2 macro & the other a 90mm f2 macro...both are apparently superb, especially the 90mm. Both were only made for a short time and did not sell in any large quantities and are fairly scarce.

Cheers Steve.

419314.jpg

I am afraid I have no doubt that this is 35mm f2.

Look at f16, it is between 1.5 m and 2. This is the same as the reading in my C-Y 35 1.4.

In my C-Y 28 2 f16 is between 1 and 1.5. So, it can't be a 28mm

In my Zeiss ikon 25 2.8, f16 is at 1.2, so it cannot be a 25mm.

Back