DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Olympus Pen Contax Lens

Philipwz20

Hi,

what do you think about the above named combination? which system would fit here? I have been going through the post and could not find an answer to that yet.

Sincerely, Philip B.

Hi - I'm assuming you're talking about the new range of Olympus micro-4/3 cameras as you can't mount any Contax/Yashica lenses on the original PEN. You can only add manual lenses which diminishes the options for the Contax N-series to 0. No adapter exists.

I have used both standard C/Y mount and G-series mount lenses on my E-PL1 and E-P2 bodies via various adapters. The Kipon for the G mount is particularly pleasing to use as it disposes of the fiddly knurled focusing wheel on earlier/cheaper adapters. The only issue is the same as for the larger 4/3 DSLRs - the 2x crop factor. It's great for long lens, portait or macro work but you have to buy the Zeiss 15mm to get a 30mm wide-angle perspective. And for the G 28mm f2.8, a lovely sharp lens ideal for the micro-4/3, you have to saw off the rear baffle which takes a bit of courage. But the results are worth it.

My best performers on the M4/3 are the 55 1.2 Planar (for portraits) but you have to use a tripod, the 50 1.4 Planar, 28 f2, 35 1.4 (portraits again) and any of the lenses above 100mm. I also get a lot of mileage out of the Yashica 55 f2.8 macro and the Contax Auto-Bellows with the 100mm f4.

There are also superb non-Zeiss/Yashica C/Y lenses from Tamron (SP range preferably), Tokina AT-X, Vivitar Series 1, etc There's almost no limit. Focusing is a breeze and the camera is always using the lens' sweet spot so super wide-angles are OK as edge definition is irrelevant.

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

Strike my comment on there being no Contax N adpaters for use with micro4/3 mounts - I've just spotted one made by Kipon.

It gets round the problem of the lens' aperture always being wide-open by introducing its own aperture blades into the adapter. You simply rotate the rear ring on the adapter to control the amount of light - it's not able to define the f-stop but that shouldn't matter too much. With 14 blades, the bokeh could be interesting. Very smart!

Back