DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Please explain difference between AE and MM lenses

G

I've used MM lenses only, what do I expect to gain or lose from AE type lenes?

Thanks.

Nothing optically. The AE lenses can't be used in shutter priority or programmed modes on those bodies that support them. Aperture priority or manual only. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a non-MM lens if a good deal comes along.

The difference between AE and MM lenses is just important, if you want to use Tv or P-mode. AE lenses are with 2-3 exceptions just the older technique.

All Contax Cameras before the 159MM, which means befor ca. 1984 offered just Manual Mode and Av. Therefore the lens barrel has had different requirements than for the Contax Cameras after 1984. All lenses produced after 1984 (with 2-3 exceptions) are MM lenses.

The 159MM was the first Contax Camera with the so called Multi-Mode (MM), which means you can use them also for the new introduced modes Tv and P. There is a little switch on The MM lenses, which makes the Tv and P mode possible.

Optically, there is no differences in lens design, it is just the mechanical connection part. You can recognize the newer MM-lenses on the smallest aperture, which is always a green number (i.e. 16 or 22).

If you do not use anyway Tv and P mode, it does not make any differences to you. Used prices for AE are cheaper.

There is another nice advantage of this mechanical change: you can use a kind of selective Tv-Mode with MM-lenses.

If you put in Tv mode the aperture i.e. on 8 and the speed on 1/125, the camera will react as follows:

If there is enough light, you will shoot with speeds of 1/125 and maximum aperture 8. If there is even more light available, the aperture will stay at 8, but the speed will go faster than 1/125. Why is this an advantage?

Because you can use the lens at the optimum optical performance i.e 5.6 or 8 for maximum resolution of the lens and the film. With the speed setting of 125 you know that this will be shake-free. A kind of "do not worry combination".

Unfortunately, this is just because of this technical modification of the AE lens to the MM lenses. Therefore the N-System does not have that advantage anymore, which is a pitty...

hope that helps

dirk

Hello Everyone
On the MM/AE subject, someone told me that if you use an AE lens and wedge the little switch on the body, with a little sliver of wood for ex&le, the result is the same as if you used an MM lens, so TV and P work. If this is true, the only difference in the lenses is the little piece which activates the switch on the body. Does anyone have any experience of this?

I've read somewhere that the aperture blades on the MM series of lenses are made of a lighter material than the AE series. I have not been able to confirm this.

Though they seem to flicker the same on the lenses I've compared. I haven't tried to fool the camera yet.

I've already pushed the switch with a swizzle stick with an AE lens was mounted and I got it into Tv and Programmed modes, but I haven't tried shooting anything yet. Does this mean it works? Any suggestions as to how I should test this hypothesis and what I should look for?

I just purchased a 135 F2.8 (s/n 6601049), and the mounting ring is black (not silver like my newer 50 1.4). In addition, the "22" f-stop is white, not green. Nonetheless, the camera (RTS III) appears to function in Tv mode (ie the aperature changes, the shutter speed stays constant).

Any idea whether any older MM models retained the white "22," or does the absence of the green "22" mean this is definately an "AE" model.

Thanks in advance,
MF

Max,
your 135 F2.8 is an old Ae modified in MM.????
All Ae model can be modified to MM.
The difference is that MM model (not modified) will have the diaphragm most precise and fast.
Also all bodies from 159MM and after can be modified for use with Ae lens in Tv and Program.
In this case I noted an overexposure of 1/3 of stop.

Hi Eugenio,
You say that all AE lenses can be converted to MM types, and MM bodies can use AE lenses in Tv & Program modes. Sounds very interesting, can you give more details?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Back