DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Problems with my Zeiss G 45mm

pinguino

I have been very happy with my g2 and 45mm combination up until today. I have done absolutely nothing but baby this camera and now it is having a problem locking focus. The camera recognizes how far away the subject is, the lens adjusts to that length, but it then retracts back to its starting position. In other words, the square dot in the viewfinder is placed on the proper distance, but it wont let me take a picture because the lens is not locked. One time out of frustration i tugged on the hood with minimal pressure and it started working again. However, after turning the camera on and off again the problem returned. I am trying not to touch it until i have some idea of what is causing this. I have no other lenses to test whether this is a lens issue or a camera issue, but im fairly positive it is the lens. Next week I will be visiting a friend of mine and I will be able to use one of his lenses as well as put my lens on his camera. If anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way as i am more frustrated than you can believe.

Thanks in advance.
Shawn

> > I have been very happy with my g2 and 45mm combination up until today. > I have done absolutely nothing but baby this camera and now it is > having a problem locking focus

I had the same problem with my G1. You can use it in f 16 because of the depth of focus. You will have to send it to Contax for repair.

Dave

I'm a former auto mechanic as well as a photographer. Substitution with a known good part; in this case anotehr lens, is a great way to see if your camera or your lens is in need of service. Back in the day, we did that with simple stuff on a car. Relays, circuit breakers, etc. Anything that could be taken out an put back in fast.

Hi

I detected a similar behavior with my G2. The reasson was: The battery was nearly at the end of its lfe. After changing the battery it works well again. I think during focusing the power consumption is higher and so the battery is weak in this moment. Try it out, i hope to help you with this advice. if there is an other reason let us know.

Regards

Hans Villars, Switzerland

Its not the battery and i plan on switching out the part.
Thanks for your help. Any more feedback is appreciated.

Back