DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Reviews on D5

Thanks a million charles .. the two lenses I have are Minolta, and they're less than 5 yrs old so they should work pretty well .. I'll just have to buy one lense to cover the lower end of the range. The lenses I have cover me from 24mm - 300mm on the dynax 5. I think what I'll need tends to be kitted with the body anyway.

Your welcome Eileesh.

I see your covered from 24mm - 300mm (36mm - 450mm on the 5D/7D) so your light at the wide angle end. However, you may find a kit lens is not the long term answer. They may be relatively cheap lenses and if so could be softer or slower than you like.

I have found that my tolerance for soft/slow lenses has diminished with time. If you become more proficient in photography, you may find you have a desire for sharper and/or faster lenses. (Read expensive lenses.) However, some people are very happy with the kit lenses and you may also.

Please don't take this as advice not to buy kit lenses. In my case, I am also in need of a wide angle lens as my widest is also 24mm (36mm.) A high quality wide angle (non digital) lens could cost as much as $1000.00, a bit more than I want to pay. Someone with a cheap wide angle kit lens is probably getting some great landscapes that I am missing, due to my bias. :-(

no worries Charles .. my main area is sports photography anyway, so wide-angle/macro isn't a huge necessity for me. hence the reason i'm not overly worried about the lower end of the scale.

Back