DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Scanner for Medium Format

Noel,

I am also looking at the 3200 as a proofing scanner. For scanning to produce high quality prints I use either an Imacon or a drum scanner. I don't want to spend $2500+ for a proofing scanner but $400 for the Epson might be worth it to "see" what I've got in my images. In regards to my comment about the 8000 untouched, I mean a raw scan with no adjustments and no sharpening. I do all that in PS. So the 3200 scan after I sharpen it is about as good (so far) as a scan on the 8000 before I sharpen it. Nikon would have done something really wrong if their 8000 wasn't better than a $400 flatbed scanner. For proofing I don't need the extra quality.

Guy

> Guy, thanks for the info. I am just new to all this and obviously you have a lot of experience would you send me your email so we could communicate a little

best regards and thanks Noel Greene

Has anybody had the chance to test the new Epson Perfection 3170 scanner with medium format negatives/slides and if so, would they care to share their experience with us?

Regards

Andrei

I have no experience with the new Epson, but my experience scanning MF with the 2450 has been fantastic. Probably hard to go wrong with the new one.

Back