DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma 50mm f2 Contemporary

coldcoffee

Hi All,

Am I the only one to be a bit disappointed by this lens now the early reviews are in? From what I've seen so far its optically not as good as the 65mm version (which I have) & now thinking its possibly not worth trading in.

Its still on pre-order here in the UK, not sure if any real world people have it yet?

Shelton.

Where did you see reviews about it?

Can you link them here?

I preordered the 50/2.0 DG DN for my Lumix S5 L-Mount camera. But it is not available yet in Germany.

You can get hold of it in the UK now. I am disappointed with the reviews though. I was hoping it would jump past the 55mm Zeiss

Oh, they are out since 4 weeks...I missed all these reviews because I was only focused on building DPRforum. :eek:.

Time is flying...

Last edited:
From what I've seen so far its optically not as good as the 65mm version

I have the 65mm too. A great lens, but heavy and big for this FL.

The 45/2.8 is also not the sweet spot for me. Not enough sharp for my taste for an all around lens (although I like 45mm FL very much).

So my hope is now this Sigma 50/2.0 DG DN. According to the reviews it is somewhere in the middle optically between the Sigma 65mm and Sigma 45mm (very close to the 65mm), which is exactly what I am looking for.

But I have to have it in my hands and see how it will balance on my Lumix S5II

I just wish they’d have optically outdone the Zeiss lens I own or used their new AF motors

If the Zeiss is that good, why do you look for an alternative?

If the Zeiss is that good, why do you look for an alternative?
There’s a few optical qualities I don’t like but I do like it’s compact size. I’d also prefer something that’s better built, I do love an aperture ring.

I’ve had to cover the Zeiss in a lens 3M cover to prevent any scratching. It marks very easily.

Can you link them here?

I preordered the 50/2.0 DG DN for my Lumix S5 L-Mount camera. But it is not available yet in Germany.
Sorry missed your msg, but can see you found them :)

Back