DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma vs nikkor

V

vinny

Due to theft I recently had to replace my gear and opted for two sigma lenses: the 24-70 2.8 EX and the 105 2.8 EX the latter seems fine but I'm not so sure about the 24-70. Any thoughts? does anyone use the Nikkor 28-70 2.8 is it good?

Hi vinny
I use the Nikon 28mm-70mm f2.8 AFS and its a stunning lens but expensive.
I replaced my Nikon AFD 28-70 f3.5-f4.5.lens with it.
My intention was to Sell/trade my Tokina ATX 28-70 f2.8 but I was offered more on the trade in for the Nikon lens.
So now I have two 2.8 zooms of the same focal lengh.

Vince,
I'm new to this site but have been reading a lot of the posts. I purchased the 28-70 2.8 lens last year and used it with my F5 and was totally blown away with the results. I liked it so much I went out and got the 17-35 2.8 and it's even better!

I finally decided to try the digital option too and brought the new D70 and took it to Yellowstone over the Memorial Day holiday. I took (and kept) over 600 shots with those two lenes (not counting the 100's or maybe 1000's I deleted on the spot snce it's so eay to do if it's not up to your liking). I only shot 3 rolls on the F5 this trip. Both Lenes work great as did the 80-400 VR I have.

In my opinion, if you can afford one go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good Luck

Joe, if you are new to digital, one word of warning. Warning is about the only way I can word it and not sound like I'm lecturing. Be careful about doing the on site deleting. OK, some are obvious duds, but be very careful about the ones that are not obvious duds, you never know EXACTLY what you have until you see it on a monitor. I've been burned that way. Taking a series of shots and saying, well that is out of focus or just doesn't look right, when I thought I deleted one and got back to find out that I deleted the wrong one. $&%# ! The worst part is, it's not like a hard drive where there are ways of getting it back once it's deleted, it's history, period.

My solution was more storage (larger capacity cards or the little 20, 30, 40 gig storage units)
the monitors on the back of the cameras just don't have enough resolution to really see what's in the shot, hey, lol, you could have that one shot that proves UFOs exist and we'll never know cause it's zapped!

Have fun with the digital, but don't let the F5 get lonely, it needs film every now and then.

Cheerz,
Bo

Boris
You mentioned some 20,23,40 gig storage units to be used in the field. What ones do you reccomend or can you lead me in the rught direction.
Mike

Mike, Nikon will be shipping one this month, it was announced in Jan or feb and is set to be released this month (or so they say). Flashtrax makes, 20,30,40 Gigabyte units that go for 399, 499, 699 respectively http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03030217smartdiskflashtrax.asp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=1276&shs=&ci=3369&ac=&Submit.x=10&Submit.y=10

No one seems to have the two smaller units, the other two sold so fast that they are trying to dump ther pricey models (my guess anyway) try the company web site and look for refurbished model a bargain can be had.

Hope this helps, BTW we really should try and keep this thread on topic, even though I'm probably the major offender here. ;-)

Bo

i am also interested in the Sigma 24-70 2.8

anyone has any info on that lens? and what kind of image does it give? one site i went to compared it with a Tokina, and it seems the Tokina came out tops...

oops, i forgot to mention that the website was reviewing it with Canon cameras...anyone here has any experience with the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 with Nikons? esp the D70?

Back