DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Snowy Egret

Blufftonian

In breeding season these birds grow extravagant plumes, and their lores and feet turn from golden yellow to bright pinkish red.
sd_dsc8332-softness.jpeg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D500
  • 500.0 mm f/5.6
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1600 sec
  • Other
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 720

Excellent shot of the breeding display and the nuptial plumage, or "aigrettes"!

And as most people know, those plumes almost caused these birds to become extinct in the early 1900's due to the demand from the women's hat trade. The National Audubon Society was originally formed to protect this species and their logo today is still the Great Egret.

I too like the turquoise colour that their lores become.

SD_DSC8382-Softness (1).jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D500
  • 500.0 mm f/5.6
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Other
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 220

And as most people know, those plumes almost caused these birds to become extinct in the early 1900's due to the demand from the women's hat trade. The National Audubon Society was originally formed to protect this species and their logo today is still the Great Egret.
Intersting bit of history...

View attachment 2511

View attachment 2511
love this one!

Back