DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Ssm and dynax9

Michael,

I hate to disagree with you, but I simply have to. Currently, cameras that can capture an image of 16 megapixels and above have replaced the film in studio work, and are considered to have exceeded the resolution of 35mm and some medium format cameras. This is a fact. In addition, the quality of the high end lenses, allow for a higher quality images today. That is something that was not available just a few years ago when film ruled. These lenses are new to the market and produce crisper images than their predecessors when film was "King". Digital cameras have forced the optics to be better.

You cannot make a comment such as you have, unless you have tried all the different pro cameras and have compared them in a real test against film. Unfortunately, too many people use this argument as a reason not to move to digital, or high end digital.... In fact, most people making this argument are still using film.

Although film is not dead, and I don't advocate that it should, as there is a place for it.

It will be a few years before a DSLR that is sub $1000 or sub 600 pounds, that can capture images such as the current 20 plus megapixel data backs, but the day will come.

Paul Tchiloyans

Paul wrote "You cannot make a comment such as you have, unless you = have tried all the different pro cameras and have compared them in a real test against film. Unfortunately, too many people use this argument as a reason not to move to digital, or high end digital.... In fact, most people making this argument are still using film." ___________________________ Paul I've been using digital capture for more than a decade and been a = working photographer since 1963.I've not used film for mainline work for = 5 years, during this time I've used a Dimage 7 alongside Hasselblad with = scan back and single shot back and I regularly use a KodakPro camera. With that experience behind me I know what I would like from a camera = but accept that it may not be what others want Wide angle lenses still cause problems with today's sensors,I trust = that Sony, with their long history of making superb video cameras with = exceptional zoom lenses, will create an equivalent for the still = capture world :))

Back