DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Suggestions-Feedback on M42 mount lenses for SD14

Hi jasohn,
the Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 was made for different mounts.
It was reported to be fairly good open, and pretty sharp at f4 .
Try Google
But before you buy it,make shure it is M42.:)
Good luck
Uwe

Thanks Uwe.

Once I have it in my hands, is there any sure-fire way to verify it is M42 and not some other screw mount?

Hi Jason,
Specs for M42 are : Outer diameter is 42mm and the thread pitch is 1mm.
Not to be mixed up with the T2 which also is 42mm BUT the thread pitch
is .75mm.
Best thing would be to check with a caliper if on hand.
Or get a M42 adaptor first.:)
May be you find a camera known to have a M42 mount or even take a rear cap from a M42 lens.
Besides the mechanical function you also should look at the glas very carefully
and check for fungus.
Regards
Uwe

M42 is much more common than T2, isn't it? I didn't have a caliper, so I just verified that it was 42mm with a plain old ruler. Even if it ends up being T2, I'm sure I can sell it for what I paid, it was only $20.

The glass looks great. No fungus, not even a spec of dust as far as I can tell. Mechanically it feels like a brand new lens. Very smooth aperture and focusing. I love how the focus ring takes nearly 1 full rotation to go through the full range, compared to the 1/4 turn my 18-200 takes. Should allow for much more precise focusing. Oh, turns out it's a 28/2.5, not 2.8 like I thought.

It's nice to see this lens will focus under a foot. Might be a good macro lens, especially if I get some M42 extension tubes.

I'm no expert obviously, but it feels like I got a good deal.

Now I just have to figure out which adapter to get and order one....

There were some other lenses there I was willing to buy, but unfortunately they turned out to be Canon mount :(

Thanks for the advice.

Back