DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Taking the G to Central America Panama Is it a good Idea

panamacolin

Hi,
I will be going to Panama for 3 weeks in decemeber. I plan on doing a good bit of travel while I am down there. While travelling im sure I will be riding buses c&ing etc. I was wondering if you think the G could handle the rough terrain.

I only have 1 G body and I dont think I will have enough cash for a backup. I also own A nikon F4 and a couple of nikon lenses I was considering taking this but it such a large camera for travel I could also buy a nikon fm or fe for around 150.00 as a backup.

With the G I have 28mm and 35mm. I am think I am going to sell the 28mm and put it towards a 90. If I can get the funds together by selling my nikon gear I could also get the 21mm.

I also need a bag for my G wondering what would be a nice bag that wouldnt be prone to thieves. I dont want it looking to high tech because people tend to look more. Also I want it to be waterproof!

I was also thinking I could sell the 35mm buy a 45mm and buy a 90mm. I really like the 35mm perspective though.

Please let me know what you would do!

> Colin

I have traveled with the G2 and all I can suggest is that you make sure you put in fresh batteries and take spares. I never had any trouble with the camera when traveling. All the reports I have read is that it is very reliable. It is also small, quick, and quiet.

In terms of lenses, all of them are excellent, and I think it is more of a question of which perspective you prefer and which lens you actually will use. The 90 is not much of a telephoto, really, but it is excellent for portraits.

I have the 90, 45, 35, and 28. I really like the 28, because of the clarity and view, but I think the 35 is easier to handle for pictures and composition. In my experience I used the 35 for a majority of the shots I took while traveling. At the time I did not have the 28. The 45 is very sharp as well.

I could see traveling with just the 35. Now that would be a compact package.

My only issue with the camera is that it is not easy to change lenses, compared to systems where lens changes are part of the game, such as slr's. With the G2, especially the wide angles with the protruding rear elements, it gets to the point where you just leave the lens on and use it, because of the buttons to push and the worry about the lens. Considering that, although I tend to carry all the lenses, I usually just put one on and leave it there.

Have a good trip.

Richard

>

I would advise that you don't carry the camera system in a bag designed to carry photographic equipment. Camera bags are a prime target for thieves. I'd suggest you 'convert' another type of bag for use with your gear. Use an ordinary backpack or shoulder bag, and customize it with foam inserts, or the usual camera bag cell divider inserts with velcro. But, anything with a Domke, Tenba, Contax, Canon, etc. logo on it will be an obvious mark. Similarly, any bag made for cameras just has that 'camera bag look....'

I use an all black LowePro "Photo Runner" bag for the G2, 28,45,90 and TLA200. The bag is tiny and can be used as a fanny pack or shoulder bag. It has proven to be discreet, compact, convenient (as it opens from the top). A very handy bag for this system, and it looks more like a hiking fannypack than a camera bag.

I use one of two systems. When lightweight isn't as big an issue, I use the nylon contax system bag. I have looked at numerous bags and find this one most efficient for lens changes. To disguise it, I take duck tape and tape across the label and on parts of the bag to make it look old and beat up. When weight is a greater concern, then I use foam box looking bags from Outdoor Research and put them in my backpack. Scott

A side note: think about adding travel insurance, or just regular insurance for your camera. It will a very tiny amount - but if you drop it in a river, leave it behind or it gets lifted, you get enough money to replace it again. Your auto insurance or home insurance company will probably offer you a plan cheaply. Worth the peace of mind especially for those of us who don't take spending money lightly ;) Enjoy your trip and show us pics when you return! -Lynn

I have a 90mm which I have never used. Caps, leather bag and lens shade also. Would be happy to trade even up for your 28mm if it is in like new or near new shape (i.e. perfect glass, no dents or dings). Email me at daleh@surewest.net if you are interested. I am on Ebay as "xkodaker" which will give you a reference as to my honesty, reliability etc. I live near Sacramento, CA. Hoping to hear from you. Dale Herrington

Hi Colin;

I have traveled with the 35MM and the 90MM and a G2 kept in a small Billingham bag (which can also easily be stuffed inside a small back pack). Left the 45MM and 28MM at home, and did not miss them at all. The 35MM was used nearly all the time, with the 90MM used just for portraits. Film used was Kodak Supra 400, which scans well. I was absolutely delighted with the results.

Good luck with your trip!

Best,

David

Hi,
Thanks for all the replys! I have decided I will take the 35mm and 90mm. I still would like some input on bags. I have heard good things on the quality of the Billingham bags. Is there on in particular that is good for the G camera and 2 lenses?

Let me know thanks,
Colin

Those crumpler bags would interest me if I could get the site to load. I saw a glimpse of the three bags, but the rest of their site broke up. http://www.crumplerbags.com/ Does anyone have an email address for the people at that company? I can't access their contact page. I was just thinking about ordering a LowePro Nova 2 or 3 and would like to compare. Thanks, -Lynn

Back