DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Thoughts upon Soviet Klones ?

deeslexia

This is my 1st post ... and possibly ,my last .

I have a couple of Kontaminated 70% / 95% Contax II rebuilt from spares / wrecks by Klone techs in Kloneland which I would love to share with you .

My autism ONLY embraces prewar Contax , but I could afford only Klones which surround and ground me in a kind of chaos .
No other camera , ever , has penetrated this veil of ' lostness ' including my Leicas II and IIIc and decades of Minolta SRTs .

Everything is either right or wrong . Problem is Cyrilic script is wrong , but I did not want one of those 70s insults to Zeiss Contax copies .

One Contax II now looks original with Klone shutter assembly , from a box of parts back and front from two different cameras , but all controls etc in pieces .

The other Contax II , a complete wreck - hardly any paint , brassed , no leather and suspect mechanism . The paint has been stripped and bare metal poliished , self timer removed to save using Klone parts , orignal shutter , Klone foot which had broken off , new textured tan leather .
This camera had a hard life and it is unlikely that anyone would wish to rebuild such a rat .

I also have a somewhat tired looking Contax III rebuilt from two wrecks [ matching back and body ] with painstaking work to combine two meter parts to make one .
All original other than a spring and screws .

I wonder how you feel about such cross contamination even though these are my dream cameras within my budget and never for resale ?

Respect .

dee

Attachments

• Contax 600.jpg
    EXIF
    Contax 600.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Kontax.jpg
    EXIF
    Kontax.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 12
I think as long as the intention is no fraud i.e. trying to sell them as genuine then I can't see the problem. What are the photographs like fom your rebuilt contax cameras?

Back