DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Transport Heritage Expo 2018

Pete_W

DPRF-Patron Gold
I took this photo 5 years ago at the annual Transport Heritage Expo in Sydney. The expo features both static and live exhibits and patrons can go for a ride aboard some old trains.

On the left is a set of 1920's-built CPH railmotors and on the right is 1950's-built Beyer-Garratt AD60 class locomotive 6029. The wheel configuration on this locomotive is 4-8-4 + 4-8-4.

Transport Heritage Expo 2018 by Peter Watters, on Flickr

Great loco. Did you get a shot of it working out on the line?

Not at this location (Central Station) - unfortunately too many people and other trains blocking a decent photo.

I do have a few photos of it on other occasions which I will have to dig up.

Meanwhile, here is a video worth checking out (not mine) of a recent 'steam fest' where this locomotive and three others raced alongside each other.

Not at this location (Central Station) - unfortunately too many people and other trains blocking a decent photo.

I do have a few photos of it on other occasions which I will have to dig up.

Meanwhile, here is a video worth checking out (not mine) of a recent 'steam fest' where this locomotive and three others raced alongside each other.

Oh wow 3801 and a Garrett! Thanks for tipping me off.
Funnily my wife and I were on the Great Train Race in 2010. My wife talks of it often and rates it as her best steam experience. We only had 3 trains but then as we were on the middle train I suppose it did not make much difference. I had hoped to see 3801 but it was in pieces that year. Well I'll have to get back. (My wife is looking at the 2024 dates as I type!)

I found this video which gives some great sequences of the trains at close quarters "jockeying for position."

Yes, I wasn't there for the great train race but I've been on a few trips behind 3801 since it was restored. I am a member of Transport Heritage NSW and volunteer as company secretary so I was invited to the re-launch. THNSW are custodians and operators of both 3801 and 6029 among other locomotives.

This is a recent shot of 3801 on the Picton Loop Line.

3801 on the loop line by Peter Watters, on Flickr

Back