DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Tricolored Heron (Egretta tricolor)

Blufftonian

One of my favourite water birds. They are year round from the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the USA all the way down through Central America and as far as Brazil. Their breeding plumage includes the little white topknot and the blue patch of skin between the beak and the eyes.

SD_DSC8187.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D500
  • 500.0 mm f/5.6
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Other
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 360

SD_DSC8182.jpg
  • 500.0 mm f/5.6
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Other
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200
SD_DSC8135.jpg
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 400

Very nice. Love the colours. As you probably know we only have two herons here, the white faced and the scarce reef heron. Always great to see what you have up there.

Danny.

Very nice. Love the colours. As you probably know we only have two herons here, the white faced and the scarce reef heron. Always great to see what you have up there.

Danny.
Thank you Danny. My friend lives just north of Tauranga and sends me photos of a local White-faced that she sees all the time, pretty much always in the same place. I didn’t know about the Reef Heron. EnZed has some interesting birds though, especially the native ones. Here we have 3 heron and 4 egret species…and 2 night herons.

Very striking bird.
Good work.

The reef heron is very scarce, so I'll post a few up later on in here along with a couple of unusual white faced heron shots. ;)

Danny.

Back