DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Two from Last Week that caught my Attention

RBIV

From the "Scenic Outlook" of the Coastal Range in San Mateo CA. The tree must be the scenic subject?
24_0414_NZ5_1020b.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON Z 5
  • NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Riding along, I noticed this structure, which I believe is the old Carriage Entrance to a beautiful estate in Woodside, CA
24_0414_NZ5_1032b.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON Z 5
  • NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

If you don’t mind me saying, I don’t like the white borders on the image with the tree. It makes what should be an expansive view, feel constrained.

If you don’t mind me saying, I don’t like the white borders on the image with the tree. It makes what should be an expansive view, feel constrained.

Don't mind at all PentUp, thank you for mentioning it. I use the white border for consistency within my "Photo Sketchbook" collection which dates back to 1998 which is where nearly all of what I post resides.

I've had both pro and con comments on the border business, so I've just left them on. I"m the first to admit I'm no "excellent" photographer. I haven't the patience for it, and after a career in the pro lab and commercial photo lab businesses I've seen and worked with so many outstanding photographers and seen so many outstanding images (and sometimes helped produce them, but not shoot them) that I lost those aspirations.

I find I love random snapshots and the stories behind them. That's my current interest in photography.

Kudos for taking the camera with you on the bike! I'm assuming? I have tried it (2004 ST1300 Blue) and it is definitely a lot easier to stop and take a roadside picture when you're in 4-wheeled vehicle! I have a large-ish magnetic tank "bag" (Tourmaster) that will hold the camera w/kit lens. It's padded inside, but I'm a little concerned about the effects of long-term vibration (i.e., a road trip). Similar situation with the built-in saddlebags, but even less convenient than a tank bag. :)

Kudos for taking the camera with you on the bike! I'm assuming? I have tried it (2004 ST1300 Blue) and it is definitely a lot easier to stop and take a roadside picture when you're in 4-wheeled vehicle! I have a large-ish magnetic tank "bag" (Tourmaster) that will hold the camera w/kit lens. It's padded inside, but I'm a little concerned about the effects of long-term vibration (i.e., a road trip). Similar situation with the built-in saddlebags, but even less convenient than a tank bag. :)
Hello, thanks for your comments, and yes, the bike doesn't leave the garage without a camera somewhere upon it.

My long distance bikes from 2006 on have been FJRs, before than three Honda VFRs. A camera resides in the tank bag. In the early days Canon F1 film camera, then digital Elphs, followed by a Pentax K20 in 2008, and a K5 in 2011. They have bounced around, been hot and cold, and I'm sure suffered from some vibration, but I have never had a camera failure. Currently, for the last year, I'm using a Nikon Zfc with kit zoom in the tank bag as it's retro and tiny, but I also sometimes take a Tenba bag strapped to the rear seat which can carry a FF Nikon Z and three lenses if I plan a "photo" ride.

Makes travel fun. Maybe I'm just lucky (lucky to be alive, (I've been riding since I was 16), and lucky with cameras as I've never had a failure. I'm just under half a million miles on bikes, so those cameras have been bounced around plenty. The Pentax K20 has even survived a few dirt bike rides, plus my grand kids, which really does surprise me. :)

Back