DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

hello contax comarade's,
I am at the point of decision between contax 645 and mamiya's 645 afd. I have done lots of research on photo.net about their differences. The most common complaint I have read about contax is its battery usage and the feature that automatically shuts the camera down for saving juice. This seems like such an elementary problem that contax should have worked out.
I am wondering if anyone has complained to contax and if they have promised to fix these problems.
Also, if anyone has experience with mamiya 645 and can give me any further advice as to why to buy into contax (other than the lenses).
Furthermore, I am a student and want to take advantage of their discounts available(3k for the kit) does anyone know where to download the .pdf discount application form?

"I am at the point of decision between contax 645 and mamiya's 645 afd. I have done lots of research on photo.net about their differences. I am a student and want to take advantage of their discounts available(3k for the kit)

You really can't beat the price on that Mamiya "starter" camera and student discounts. And you can get used Mamiiya lenses at a marvelous price. Maybe you will like Mamiya well enough to stay with it. But if you don't you can always go to Contax (or Pentax) when your fortunes are better. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Jack C.

Just curious about Craig's posting that says a leaf shuttered lensed camera can't be TTL because the shutter is closed until the actual time of exposure.
If this is true, how does Hasselblad provide TTL in its' 503CM on up camera bodies?

Marc, my statement about TTL metering with leaf shutter lenses was with reference to rangefinders mentioned earlier in the thread, specifically the Mamiya 7.

SLRs with leaf shutter lenses, like the Hasselblads and Bronicas, keep the shutter open, and use the mirror to keep the film in darkness. When you press the shutter release, the shutter closes, then the mirror flips up, and then the shutter opens for the film exposure. When the shutter closes after the film exposure, the mirror comes back down again for the next shot and the leaf shutter opens again to allow the SLR viewing and TTL metering. In some cameras, like the Bronica SQ-A, the mirror won't come back down until you advance the film to the next frame. The film advance will bring the mirror back down and then open the leaf shutter again.

So for SLRs, TTL metering is technically possible with leaf shutter lenses, thanks to the mirror's ability to keep the film in darkness. But for rangefinders with leaf shutter lenses, the shutter must stay closed all the time, because there is no "secondary" shutter like an SLR's mirror.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Kind Regards,

Craig

> Ryan I bought the Mamiya 645 AF a year ago and didn't like the camera from the start. I disliked the menu driven controls which I found > difficult to use and some of their functions were really not set up for real world working photography. The camera has auto bracketing > but cancels it's self after every shot, not a good idea when hanging out of a Helicopter or some such situation.

I sold the camera system to an associate who thought he liked it and after one job he sold it on Ebay. I in the meantime bought the Contax 645 and have been delighted with it, of all the camera systems I have owned or used (I am an old guy) it is the best all around unit I have ever had and I have had all of the ones you can order from Calumet. The Contax is a battery eater and does go to sleep after about 16 seconds but wakes up immediately with a touch of the shutter release or auto focus button. Good Luck, Jim

>

>

I was a little disapointed that an updated Contax 645 was not announced at Photokina, leaving Hasselblad to steal the 645 thunder with thier new 645 system. As much as I like my Contax it's crying out for some development and I tend to regard it in much the same way I regarded my first Minolta auto focus camera back in the 1980's, anyone hear anything about when we might expect a 645 II, and if so what it might offer?

Regards,

Gary

Gary,

I'm curious as to what improvements you would like to have with the 645II. Other than solving the battery consumption problem, I can't imagine adding any more button or dials.

Ted

A faster flash sync speed would be my request. I use fill flash outdoors a lot, and the Fuji medium format rangefinders with leaf shutter lenses allow me to use flash with maximum shutter speeds, thereby permitting an aperture like f8 in bright sunshine with f5.6 of fill flash at one or two metres. My Aria, and the 645, with a top flash sync of only 1/125, restrict me to f16 in bright outdoors, and I therefore need f11 of fill flash, which means a much more powerfull flash gun is required.

The Hasselblad H1 is my dream camera nowadays, because of its leaf shutter lenses and top flash sync speed of 1/700. With that camera I'll be able to use f6.5 in bright outdoors, with fill flash at only f4. The Contax 645 cannot compete with that, unfortunately.

I agree that there is little I would do about changing the Contax 645. You don't need a faster sinc speed.
You need a better dedicated flash than the TLA 360.
That flash is ancient. A new one that has the ability to sinc with all shutter speeds is a real possibility.
The Canon 550EX does it when set on HHS. Even the Metz 54 allows sinc at all speeds on a Leica M7 (and R-8?). There may need to be some in camera changes to allow this high speed sinc. But maybe there could be an off camera cord that incorporates the necessary electronic circuitry. While were at it, I'd like a new off camera cord anyway. One that transfers all the functions. One that is a bit heaftier built than the flimsy one now available.

The new hasselbald would be a dream for some fill flash situations (top sinc speed is 1/800th I believe, but that is also the top speed period). I'd much rather have 1/4000th of a second when using a f/2 or 2.8 lens outdoors. Just give me a better flash with HHS ability.

Back