DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

> did i make a mistake and how can i improve my > focusing techniques. I am totally new to the rangefinder camera. thank you, > louis cicalese ================================================================= No. As many others will also tell you, you have not made a mistake. You are just at the beginning of the learning curve. Go to a good library and browse the shelves of their photography section. I am sure you will find a book or two about Leicas. You might also check the net and buy one of the newer books about the Leica M cameras, there are many good ones.

Photo Phreak, thanks for the info; i will buy the book on m cameras. since my post, i have shot about 5 rolls of film and am getting more comfortable with the focusing. I am going to the camera store and put the magnifier on my camera just to see how this works. any thoughts anyone. louis cicalese

The 1.25x magnifier will "bump" your viewfinder to the next M viewfinder, i.e. an 0.58 vf will become an 0.72 vf, an 0.72 vf will become an 0.85, and an 0.85 will become 1.06x, very interesting if you keep both eyes open. In other words, the viewfinder will not interfere with your natural vision. I'm saving money to buy one myself.

Good luck, Anthony

Louis;

Glad to hear you're getting used to your M camera. I agree with Bob's comments above - it takes a while to get used to the M, & using it exclusively for a while is the best way to become comfortable with it.

I'm not suggesting you sell your M7 for an M3, but I also agree with Bob's comment about the M3 having a great finder. It's the only M I currently own - I kept the M3 instead of the M6TTL.

Onto focusing - one of the great things about the wide-angle M lenses (& the older 50mm lenses) is that they have a focusing handle on them. This seemingly innocuous feature actually contributes to getting your image really fast on the street, because you can have it in focus BEFORE you even raise your camera to your eye. In practice, if you already have your subject in focus before you even raise the camera, it will beat even the finest AF systems (my favourite AF system is the Canon EOS), as they require a split second to lock on. Maybe that's why the Leica M camera is still relevant for street shooting, even with today's fantastic AF SLR's.

Try this practice with your 28mm -

1. Set the focus on infinity.

2. Focus on something at a moderate range (4 metres or slightly further). Note where the handle is positioned. Return to infinity.

3. Without raising the camera to your eye, move the handle back to where it was where you focused. Raise the rangefinder to your eye. Check to see if you got the range correct.

4. Practice this at different ranges.

After a short while, it's surprising how accurate you can be. Don't forget, that a lens as wide as a 28mm also gives you some leeway in apparent depth of field, so even if you're off a bit, but you're stopped down moderately & you're not shooting anything at under a metre for your shot, you'll probably be in focus.

If you do this enough times, you'll get to a point where you don't even have to return the handle to infinity. You'll instinctively know where to position it to focus on 3 metres, 4 metres, 5, etc. is.

If this sounds complicated, I'll tell you this - playing a musical instrument or practicing swordmanship is worse! This focus technique is pretty easy to master.

For your 90mm, it has no handle & it's a telephoto, so focusing with the rangefinder is obviously best.

About the magnifier - check the entry here on the forum about it under M Accessories. I haven't used it, but other Forum users seem unimpressed.

A seldom considered difference between the Contax G and the Leica M system is weight.

Stated below are the weights of two comparable, ready-to-operate systems.

Contax G2, Biogon 28, Planar 45, Sonnar 90, TLA 140 = 1220 g
Leica M7, Elmarit 28, Summicron 50, Elmarit 90, without flash! = 1860 g
(all Leica lenses in black, titanium is beyond)

This, among other things, mostly lacking fill-flash capabilities, detains me from travelling to Leica.

Till

Dear Till,

The trouble with Contax bodies is lack of reliability. Believe me as I tried them for the auto-focus function. Most unreliable cameras I have experienced. Never went anywhere without an M camera as a back-up. Ended up selling the Contax and all lenses.

Justin

Hi Justin,

just for interest: What were the concrete issues?
My G2's have never let me down, except for the batteries.

Till

Hello Till,

The camera bodies just ceased to function. First a G1 then after it was sent back to Japan twice I upgraded to the G2 and after it had one visit to its homeland I gave up and sold up.

In thirty five years a Leica has never let me down, although I have not owned the R3 or early R4 about which there have been reliability problems.

Regarding weight I have also never been daunted by a Leica and three lenses.

Regards,

Justin

Hello Justin,

this is a sad story. If I had your experience I would have decided like you.

As for weight, it may depend upon the length of your walking-tours.
I just feel a gap between the M's reputation as perfect travel companions and the fact, that even a metal SLR body with fine primes may be considerable lighter.

Nevertheless, I admire the M's great workmanship, which the Contax' cannot compete.

Till

> > Leica M7 has much better fill flash capabilities. > > Try to dial -1 2/3 fill flash with a G2. > > Try to fill flash at 1/1000s with a G2. > > Lucien > >

Back