DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What features would you like to see

old_admin_CI

Dear Minoltainfo.com members. Since Minolta announced a digital SLR for this year, we opened a new thread to discuss this hot topic specifically.

We start here with a "wish list" for all upcoming Minolta DSLR's. Add whatever kind of feature you would be interested in.

Wish list for a new KONICA Minolta DSLR?

- INTERCHANGEABLE BACKS: interchangeable backs for film and different imaging chips as the years wear on

- LENS ADAPTERS: a deeper throat for the lens mount area allowing different wide and deep adapters so we can use any Minolta lens without a teleconverter effect - fitting Minolta SR and A lenses alike with each adapter! Hey, even non-Minolta lenses could them be fitted - can you say, "Leica and Nikon and Canon and Pentax and Olympus and Sigma killer"? Why buy ONE of their cameras when a Konica Minolta DSLR can use any of ALL of their lenses? ;-)

- RANGE OF MODEL PRICES: a range of camera bodies and chip sizes and prices

- KONICA MINOLTA'S OWN CHIP: a Konica Minolta chip, not a Sony or other maker's chip!

(Time to change the group name to konicaminoltainfo.com ?!?)

--

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon

(Konica) Minolta Vivitar Tamron Fujifilm Ilford Kodak Adobe Hewlett Packard et cetera Photographer

peterblaise@yahoo.com

http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

http://www.minoltaphotography.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/konicaminolta/

Peter Blaise Monahon desired an interchangeable back on the new Minolta Dslr but that would,it seems to me,be only a short term requirement for most users. Leica are developing,( pun intended ! ) a back that can be fitted to their SLR camera by the user but I suspect that whilst it may have buyers it will be too little too late I enquired with Rollie about the likelihood of a digital back being produced for their superb 3003 camera,the worlds only 35mm camera that has been designed to be used by people with faces. Their answer was that the electronics linking lenses to CCD chip were too complex and adapting the lens and the body impractical.Another issue was cooling as cool chips give clean signals, hot one don't. Their aim is to support the pro market with backs for medium format only.

What I would like to see is a camera styled along the lines the Dimage7 series but Physically bigger,something that would be easier to hold as I find the 7 too small. If current lenses are adequate then fine but I suspect they are not and to get the best new lenses will be designed with hopefully shift and tilt wide angles for serious architectural work. Michael

> If MINOLTA is indeed doing a digital SLR .. I think that

> (1) the 4/3 chip standard looks very attractive with real-estate to grow -- rather than some proprietary Minolta format. Also, while on the subject of imagers chips .. > why not the Foveon x3 chip? (Lets not have another digital SLR grated onto a 35mm film design.)

> (2) with the availability and promise high capacity storage I can see the convergance of video and still image capture in one device. So why not add 30fps full-frame > video with sound. Keep this video capbility to just capture of video with sound without the typical gimmicks on current video cams.

(3) the SLR design concept suggest interchangeable lenses .. unless a single unit can be developed with about 20X. In the alternative 2 or 3 lenses may provide more flexibility .. better optics and more compact packages.

>

> What you say about a film&digital grip for maxxum/dynax 5,7,9 with 35mm chip. The grip installable by you or any service provider, price around 500-1000$ depends by chip resolution. .... sounds SF..........

A new DSLR Minolta body with 35mm chip, >6 Mp, 1/4-8000, 5-10 fps, min. 20 frames continous on a single push, wather&dust proof and able to work with maxxum/dynax SLR acessories with price around 1000$.

best reagrds, alex.

Tilt and shift lenses for a digital camera?

There's already a bag for the Nikon and Canon, so when the Minolta comes out, they can adapt it. It can be used for 35mm, the image circle is smaller due to tilt and shift, so it's really designed for the smaller sensor - neat side benefits of APS size film that EVERYONE HATED and now wants back!!!.

Otherwise, with a digital camera taking an architectural shot, why not just "distort" the image in Photoshop and use "cheap" off the shelf lenses? Canon's and Nikon's and Pentax's and Minolta's tilt and shift lenses have virtually NO automation on board, so you might as well use a bag anyway and off-the-shelf lenses (I think enlarger or medium format lenses fit the bag).

Click

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise

Minolta Photographer - I'll explain what that means later, for those who don't get it! ;-)

http://www.minoltaphotography.com/ for a reason!

Peter, please explain "bag" I suspect its someting not seen here in the UK

Yes Photoshop can be used to correct verticals but if the shot is tight to start with, when the image is corrected there will have to be a lot of the edges lost to retain the normal rectangle. Traditionaly I would use a 75mm lens on 5x4" or even a 47mm on 6 x 9 cm for such shots which does give a reasonable amount of perspective correction without loss of image area. Michael

Is it Ok to use higher capacity ,like 2350 mah in a Minolta 7i . Also what voltage does a 7i use so I cn select a power adaptor to use . Stuart

Hi to all! I'm excited after a while back to the forum to find that the dSLR is around. (hope it's not just another rumor!)

Minolta never lacks features, therefore it's best in price performance. My worry is about the technical maturity for this newbie since this is only the pilot model for minolta vs. the third or fourth generation for the competitors. We expect too much OEM in the forthcoming dSLR.

So I strongly prefer a interchangable digital back to leave it an open system for investment protection. When a second generation and more stable back is introduced, we can easily upgrade the system instead of reselling (for only a few pennies) to refund the new ones. That's the key FEATURE for me (and, I think, many others) to re-invest into Minolta.

Regards, David

> We keep forgetting that a digital slr by Minolta will not be its first. Let me point out to all that the RD175 exists long ago.

Back