DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What features would you like to see

4 Minolta DSLRs so far:

1 & 2 = Video backs (shocking!) for the Minolta AF 7000 and 9000

3 = Minolta RD175 (also released by Agfa)

4 = Minolta RD3000 (reviewed as having highest color accuracy of it's time - Minolta is NOT naive here!)

... I expect Konica Minolta will NOT make a back for current cameras since they want to sell to MORE than current owners - they want to bring in NEW customers as well. Also, with a fully integrated DSLR, the manufacturer has complete control over total performance, whereas a back could be misaligned by the end user and compromise Konica Minolta's reputation without Konica Minolta being able to do anything about it - hey, the back works at the lab!

michael wilkinson (Uksnapper) wrote: "... Peter, please explain "bag" I suspect its someting not seen here in the UK ..."

Hi Michael,

At http://www.shutterbug.net/product_preview/0803sb_product/ read the following:

[Image]

Cambo Ultima 35: Digital Perspective Control

If you wanted perspective control shooting for architectural, still life, or landscape work with digital in the past the best hope was using a digital back on a 4x5 or similar setup that allowed you swing and tilt control. Now, with the Cambo Ultima 35 and a group of growing digital SLRs, the choice can be expanded to use a digital SLR as both a field camera and in the studio with all the capability that one could desire. As of this writing the setup can be used with the Canon EOS-1Ds or the Kodak DCS Pro 14n, but we’re assured adapters will be coming for more, including non-“full frame†digital SLRs such as the Canon EOS 10D, and the Nikon D100 and D1X, etc.

Here’s how it works: The SLR body acts as the capture device, without lens. The Ultima 35 functions as the optical system, with all the swings, tilts, lateral and vertical shifts, and critical focusing that can be applied to perspective control and depth of field. The lens itself sits on the front of the setup. Cambo recommends the Schneider Digitar series of lenses, those delivering the resolution that matches the more precise needs of digital sensors. In addition, Hasselblad lenses will work when mounted on a special adapter plate and any regular large format lens longer than 90mm in focal length will also do the job.

No shutter is necessary on the lenses as all metering and exposure functions are controlled from the D-SLR. And although there is a bellows between the camera mount and lens plate there’s no need to figure out bellows extension exposure compensation as the metering is done right at the sensor.

Accessories currently slated for delivery include a compendium shade, flat and recessed lensboards, a Hasselblad adapter and a vertical adapter for both the Canon EOS-1Ds and the Kodak DCS Pro 14n. As mentioned, mounts for the non-full frame Nikon D1X and D100 and the Fuji S2 Pro are also being designed. In addition, the Ultima 35 is also compatible with Cambo’s general accessory system and can be upgraded or retrofitted to other applications. Price is ~US$3999, but bundled kits that include the Kodak DCS Pro 14n (~US$8298).

See them at http://www.cambo.com/capages/ultima35_bodyframe.html

[Image]

[Image]

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon

Minolta Vivitar Tamron Fujifilm Ilford Kodak Adobe Hewlett Packard et cetera Photographer

peterblaise@yahoo.com

http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/minoltafilmbasedcameras/

Peter,I now undestand "bag",Over here in the UK wide angle "Bag Bellows" is more commonly used .I had looked at the Cambo System as I already use their 5x4" Master monorail for both film and sometimes my scan back and concluded that for me it was not the right solution. The main drawback is the limited amount of movements that can be utilised due to the camera body throat causing cut off. Ive no doubt it will be usefull to some people though. Thanks Michael

http://www.cambo.com/capages/ultima35_bodyframe.html "bag bellows"

With such a small chip in most DSLRs, the "slight" movement of this product is more than enough.

Do not compare or confuse the large movement NEEDED by large film to the small movement needed by a small sensor!

The image sensor in digital SLRS is way smaller than the lens mount "throat"!

Remember APS? It's back ... digitally! ;-)

>Hi! What is a good news about Minolta DSLR...I just like Minolta regardless every thing. Now I would like to see Minolta DSLR just like Maxxum 7 Dynax. So I can feel its weight and treditional camera feel in hand while I am shooting around. Please wish well for new minolta DSLR and we can enjoy it in coming years. Regards Rana

> LEGACY or NOT!

It seems that there are two schools of thought to consider if by DSLR we mean a 35mm nominal model: (a) to carry over all 35mm optics into new DSLR that Minolta is considering .. this points to an imager of 24x36mm to use the lenses at 1:1 focal length multipliers -- but not necessarily a better product solution. (b) to have a fresh start with an optimum size imager (with room to grow pixel count .. say, from 5MP initial offering to 10-16MP maximum later on). This imager may well be the KODAK 4/3 format (either a 2D format -- Bayer pattern, OR a 3D format -- Foveon) .. and this will shrink (somewhat) the total size and weight of the DSLR and its new generation of optics designed for digital (this last point is not trivial since digital chips perform better as the light striking the pixels are more nearly perpendicular to the chip surface)..

Minolta should include their anti-shake technology .. and perhaps make the body (chip group) upgradeable as significant chip improvements arrive.

A camera like this with a range of lenses may well be positioned in the 'pro-sumer' / professional segment .. perhaps $1000-1200 for the body with base lens .. plus optional lenses. Such a product would keep the 35mm flavor for those of us who have used that format (I since the mid-50's (Konica, Zeiss Contarex, etc.)). Those who seek large format features and performance might want to seek their solutions elsewhere.

We probably won't get an upgradable chip since all the electronics have to match the chip, and all the controls have to match the electronics and the mechanics.

Leica is to have ONE model, not a series for entry level and pro level (yeah, "entry level Leica" - shoot me!). ONE.

Minolta will probably have a series chronologically before they have more then one available at the same time.

I can imagine a

Konica Minolta Dimage 5 DSLR,

Konica Minolta Dimage 7 DSLR, and a

Konica Minolta Dimage 9 DSLR

in the lineup, but at

~US$900,

~US$1,800, and

~US$3,600 ...

and whh specifications will YOU pay DOUBLE for to move up the line, eh?

Peter Blaise, Minolta Photographer - search the internet for me! ;-)

(263 pages via Yahoo!, 355 via Google, 12 via MSN, 18 via AOL ...)

My dream Minolta DSLR would compete with the 300D/10D and N70. It would meet the following criteria:

I would love to see a sensor cover that closes when a lens is removed, opens when the lens is put in both to to protect the CCD. Additionally it could be opened for CCD cleaning, unless it has it's own cleaning cycle.

I would also prefer a quality EVF like the A1 and Sony 828, this way you can get that hard shot over a crowd using the rear screen as your viewfinder, instead of being limited to the viewfinder like current DSLRs, plus, you wouldn't have a moving mirror adding vibration to the shot, and compromising some of the advantage of the Anti-shake it should also have. Not to mention it would have less parts, and room for more of components to give it the extra oomph minolta is known for.

30-1/4000 shutter,

Maxxum mount,

Standard excellent Minolta flash capabilties

Dimensions like the Maxxum 3/4/5 or A1 without the lens, whoever said small was a bad thing, I love my Maxxum 5 versus any larger camera, it just feels right.

An available optional grip, should you like the bigger feel.

MP, well something EQUAL to film on a 10x13 scale, I don't care about the MP count as long as the pictures are clean, without noise and look good when I want to get that large photo for a big frame.

Sensor size, Full-frame would be nice, so we don't need to shell out more money to get the wide angles we already have lenses for.

price: <$1000 of course.

Well, I'd buy it. Here's hoping, I'm staying dedicated either way.

I realy need is, a built in lighter in the Camera. Or better a nikotin evaporizzer, thats probably why all the Profesionals are with Nikon.

> Posted by Fritz Müller (Picturetaker) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - > 7:57 am: > > I realy need is, a built in lighter in the Camera. Or better a > nikotin evaporizzer, thats probably why all the Profesionals are > with Nikon.

What I really need is to not have to see antagonistic *and* uninformative posts. >

Back