DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What flash to get for indoor sports

Jeremy: since You shot at f/3.5 1/60th with ASA-1600,
the available ambient-light was LV6 only.

Well, to increase a low lighting, an other (equal) low
lighting level only, is needing/enough to double the
brightness and earning a LV (one stop);
getting 1/125th as possible already.

I would suggest, try on continuos lighting by finding a
video-light; battery powered one.
Several models get the hot-shoe (not-hot, indeed)
mount, able to go on the Camera directly.
You will simply have to turn it ON briefly, before of
taking the picture; so, heat is not a problem.

Some further doubling of the lighting, should be easily
achievable, then moving to ASA-800 and f/5.6
(still 1/125th); to do that, You should find a video-light
giving LV9 at 25 ft back.

Using continuos light, any shutter-speed is possible; even 1/250th, then.

Anton

Thank you all for your suggestions - this is a great forum! Gilbert - I downloaded an OM-1 manual and will be giving it a look.

Another twist on the story: It turns out I own a Vivitar 550FD flash (Guide number 80). It belonged to another camera that has been sitting in a box for about 15 years, forgotten. Any idea what hot shoe I would need for it? The instructions say shoe #3 for the OM-2, and #4 for the OM-2N. Nothing about my OM-1 MD.

Thanks!

Jeremy

> Shooting without flash can be done (I used to shoot high-school basketball on Super-XX (half the speed of Tri-X) with an f/3.5 lens and a shutter that went down only to 1/30 or 1/20.) But it takes trickery to get around the limitations imposed by wide apertures and slow shutter speeds. Wide apertures mean shallow depth of field; best to prefocus on a spot where action is likely to occur, and shoot when it gets there. (if your OMs had autofocus, I'd suggest switching it off.) For sports that involve leaping, such as basketball,time your shots for the peak of the leap--leapers slow down as gravity catches them and stop moving altogether for an instant before beginning to descend. Learn to pan with action, so the subject stays reasonably sharp and the background blurs.

> Normally the OM-1 uses Shoe 1. Since the OM system is discontinued and good shoes are hard to find, sometimes it's any port in a storm. As I mentioned previously, Shoe 2 and 3 can be used on a plain 1 if you cut the ttl pin off. Shoe 4 cannot be modified to fit your 1 as it screws on in the opposite direction from a Shoe 1, 2 or 3.

Back