DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What is legally allowed to take photos of


New Member
Hi guys, I am new to the photography business. I have talked with several folks on what is allowed and what is not allowed to photograph. Some say that a horse out in the pasture is fair game. I feel that the horse belongs to someone and therefore is off limits. The same goes with different scenery sights. Is there any one rule of thumb that should be followed? I do know that people cannot be photographed without there written consent. Is there a form that is available online to be used for such purpose? Also what is the best way to protect your photos with a copywright symbol?
Can you all tell I am new???? Thankyou...dc
I tend to work on the basis that:

If something is in the public arena, eg: can be accessed in a public space without any trespass, then it's completely legitimate to photograph it.

If, (using your horse argument) the horse can be photographed from the public highway/road without the need for trespass, then it's completely legitimate to photograph it.

In terms of photographing people, the form that you're referring to is called a model release form. You don't always need one of these, but it does depend on the end use of the photos. In the UK, if you're shooting for news you don't need a model release form, as long as the photos are either taken in the public arena, or if on private land, with permission. If however the photos are being used for stock or advertising, or sometimes editorial use, it's better to have one. If you google the term "model release form" you'll find loads of ex&les.
Best if you can get the horse to sign a release
I do landscapes and greeting cards I sell and never ran into a problem. If someones farm house or animals are in the photograph I will a lot of times drop the greeting card in their mailbox stating I hope they dont mind my using their property in my cards and always get a note back saying they are happy and honored to see it in print.


The only problem is that many sites that one may believe are
public, are not. i.e. the area by the former London County Hall is private
property. If you have a compact camera , the security guards do not
bother you but if you have good equipment ....