DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What is the value of this camera

G

Hi everybody!

I have a Leica 2 camera (serial # 82925) with 50mm F/3.5 Leitz Elmar lens in original case.
The camera is in PERFECT condition (please see attached photo). The camera works just fine!

How do I determine the value of this camera?

Thank you for your time.

Mike.
34803.jpg

Dear Mike,

You have a very beautiful camera and lens.

What I find unusual is the camera having carry strap eyelets and a small shutter speed dial.

The camera is from the first batch of the model II which had a large shutter speed dial and did not have strap eyelets.

Maybe they were 'upgraded' later in its life which was not unusual.

As to value, the 8th edition of the Leica International Price Guide published by Hove Books values the camera in this condition at US$850.00 and the lens at US$200.00.

I do not think this far from what the market would consider a fair price.

Never the less keep it and enjoy. Load with Fuji Superia 400, rate at 200ISO and go forth and shoot.

All the best,

Justin Scott

Justin,
Thanks so much for the info. I am definitely keeping this camera.
You got me interested mentioning "the upgrades." This camers was brought from Germany by an American soldier, when he returned from World War II.
I know the son of this soldier, may be he remembers if his father made any upgrades to the camera.

Why do you sugest overexposing the film one full stop? When I use 200 ISO Agfa film, it comes out rather contrasty (but contrasty in a "nice" way!)

Do you know of a Web Site with pictures of old Leica cameras?

THANKS AGAIN!
Mike.

P.S. Attached is a photo of this camera in its case.
34806.jpg

Hi Mike,

I suspect the upgrades would have been done in the thirties long before the American soldier acquired it.

Regarding overexposing colour negative films, I have found for enlargements with shadow detail and better saturated colour anything from two thirds to one full stop is necessary. For 4"x6" machine prints you will not notice the difference. In my pre-war Leicas I use Fuji Superia 400 and rate it at 200. I also do the same in my wife Leica C1 by manipulating the DX coding on the film canister.

Unfortunately I do not know a Web Site with pictures of old Leica cameras. I tend to collect images as I find them such as yours, and there are often very good images on eBay although not much pre-war equipment.

If I can help in any way without clogging the Forum, my email is jcdscott@bigpond.net.au

Kind regards,

Justin

Mike - where in the world did you get a Leica II in such good shape? Even if the camera came from Germany after the war, it is a remarkable find.
The chrome on the lens and the timer dial seem to be too shiny, as if they were polished.
In any case - no good guesses on what it might be worth - several hundred if an expert established that the camera had not been refurbished/repainted. Otherwise, just love the thing for its beauty and utility - they remain great and fun cameras.

Sincerely
Max

Hi Mike,

The other detail I overlooked, in the excitement of seeing such a beauty, is the slow speed dial.

This tends to confirm my opinion that, assuming the serial number is correct, sometime in the thirties the camera was sent back to Wetzlar and had the slow-speeds, strap-eyelets and later speed-dial added. It was a very common occurence and in fact dealers would often do it with cameras 'traded-in' on later models.

Look around for a nickel collar for the shutter release to complete its orginality. If I can find one here I will let you know.

Cheers,

Justin

Mike - I have been through my reference materials and it seems likely that your camera is in fact a Leica Model D or Leica II, with the addition of the slow speeds and eyelets.

It would help a lot if you could take a closer picture of the camera top, specifically showing the engraving clearly. Also the back of the camera showing the eyepieces, and the bottom of the camera - inside.

The more I look at your camera, the more interesting it becomes.

Thanks

Max

Hi guys!
Thanks for all the input and help!
Here's a little more "history" on this camera.
My friend says that his father actually brought two Leica cameras from the war and mainly used the other one. That's why this one is in such good shape.
Yes, it looks like it was modified by the factory, but BEFORE my freind's father got it.
The serial number is correct (see picture) and the camera was not repainted.
Thanks again!
Mike.

Back