DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which Contax System suits best to your needs

Hi zaxfan, I can fully understand your passion! Although I have very little Contax gear from the pre-1975 RTS era, I bought every Contax model since then (except the colour variations of the RX), every accessory and all the Zeiss lenses except the N-Mirotar 210mm, 1000 Mirotar f5.6 and 60mm C-Planar (pointless if you have the S-Planar or Yashica ML 55 2.8). I also had the good fortune to be gifted a few items back in the 1980/90s by Yashica such as the Zeiss 600mm f4 and found a few weird cameras like the camouflaged military versions of the 137MD, many variants of the CMCG 137MD and the M35W 137MD plus the different models of the RTS Fundus. Very sorry to hear about your dead N Digital - on the plus side, it makes a very rare and beautiful paperweight! Talking about Contax digital gear, the only cameras I always carry with me are either the i4R (such a little beauty), the SL300RT or, if both are being charged, then the U4R. And even though it takes several days to boot up (well, it feels like that), I still love using the TVS-D as it feels so good (if you love the T-series cameras, you'll probably like their digital brother) and produces rich, beautiful images. And as for the C645, what a great camera...

I hope you continue to enjoy using your Contax gear for years to come. You have a very good collection of some truly classic cameras!

I remember wanting to do a test with the AX a few years back. I traveled 140 miles to see the it. I had cash for the entire purchase in my pocket. The camera shop (Atlanta) wouldn't let me do any testing with it. I have yet to own the AX. I feel the reason to own Contax is having the best glass available. Sure Leica is good but...
Their no Contax Zeiss
There have been situation where clients have requested large prints of approximately 1\5 of a negative. Had I been using lenses less sharp than Zeiss it may not have been possible to deliver. At least this is the way I feel.
Also, I think it has kept me in 35mm instead of necessitating medium format on some jobs. With lesser glass larger format might be necessary. I think in some cases Zeiss saves me the hassle and cost of the larger camera via its quality.
Very true. I'm looking at getting another Contax with Zeiss glass

Enjoy
Roger J.

Back