DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why do you favour Leica M R Digital or P&S

I would like to give a 2nd opinion, to get as close as M experience, I will strongly recommend at least a 10D or better a Nikon D2H if budget is allowed. A digital rebel does not have any custom function which move the AF activation to the back and free the shutter release. So to catch a certain moment, we have to live with a total lag of AF + shutter lag, which is quite considerable.

My personal experience, I am not quite happy with the shutter lag of 10D even after its pre-focused. Quoted from imaging-resource.com, the 10D's and Rebel's release lag after pre-focus is approximately 150ms, which is a good multiple folds of the Leica Ms.

Moreover, another independent review of the Digital Rebel in Luminous Landscape does indicated the mirror d&ing of digital rebel is not done as good as its bigger brothers and could in times blurred the output pictures.

The automatic this, qand the automatic that. I'm a control freak. The Ms give the tools to capture what I see in the viewfinder. I've been through AF( Contax RTSIII) digital (Olympus 10). "Been there, done that". Those cameras seemed to control me(and the situation). At my age I have less control than I used to but, my M5s are still totally loyal.

The automatic this, qand the automatic that. I'm a control freak. The Ms give the tools to capture what I see in the viewfinder. I've been through AF( Contax RTSIII) digital (Olympus 10). "Been there, done that". Those cameras seemed to control me(and the situation). At my age I have less control than I used to but, my M5s are still totally loyal.

The M's are a great choice for street shooting. I used an M6 for sometime and recently started using an M2 for street shootting and I love it. The camera is a joy to use. The finder is bright and unclutered. I use a clip-on meter. As I shoot b&w I can take a quick reading and adjust as needed.

My normal lens is a 35mm and I usually carry a 21mm (with finder), a 50mm and a 90mm.

> type your text here! Yeah right! :-( I am & > have done so on numerous times and tried > to stay within the lines to post and nothing > ever happens. Be great if someone would > mind explaining what to do, as this list, as much > as I enjoy most of what I read is interesting. > However it's becoming a full blown waste of > time attempting to answer. So in the wildest > of possiblities without a considerable amount > of typing fiddling with little would someone kindly explain exactly where > the heck the text goes and will appear? Thank > you most kindly! So please someone > in very simple language how to make it work > more than ...type your text here! And rarely > have it appear! If this gets anywhere. ;-) > ted

> Great it seems I'm not alone! Now maybe, > just maybe I can assist a few folks here from > my 50 years as a working photojournalist > using Leica's! If this get's through? ;-) > ted

> Why do I favour an M, R, digital Leica? > The assignment dictates which one I use, no > favoritism involved as I use them as tools > of the trade. If I'm shooting the Olympics it's > R's all the way, I use three motor driven R8's > with lenses from 15mm to 800mm. > However it's the longs 280-400-560-800 > that get the main work outs.

> Photojournalism projects it's 99.9999% M's > because they're quiet, fast, focus in next to > nothing light and people don't take you seriously > because the M's look like nice quiet P&S! ;-)

> I mean you may know they cost a fortune, the > public do not so they don't care what it is! > I bought 3 M7's at the beginning of '03 and > put approximately 4-5 hundred rolls through > them in 3 months. Beautiful fast use cameras > with nary a wrong exposure while set to AE .

> And this was during shooting of our new B&W book > "Women in Medicine" under extreme light > conditions in hospitals around North America.

> The M7 after 12 months of hard use as far as I'm concerned > for accurate no fuss no muss picture taking under all types of > light, is the best of the best M camera ever.

> ted

Hi Ted,

you have 2 different options to reply:

a) you click at the buttom of every e-mail on the link, which leads you automatically at the right spot within the forum. You post your message then there directly online.

b) You use the "reply by e-mail" function. It works like any other mailing list, except that you have to scroll down before you type your text. In the help file of this forum, there is a detailes description on how to do use it:

http://www.leicainfo.com/discus_admin_3212110306/template/ui/bd-help_zusatz.html#email_reply

But as far as I can see, you succeeded already. Just always bear in mind to overwrite the "type your text here-line" with your own text.

Back