DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Sony / Minolta at all?

Agreed that Minolta disappoints us by not providing a DSLR. They = believe that users can live with the 28-200mm range (plus digital = magnification).

Honestly, GT lens is excellent though. The AD is minimal, distortion acceptable while responding to tonal dynamics. It certainly deserves = pro lens if mounted on SLR. The difference is the reduced field of view due = to the reduced size of sensor -- it's actually a 7-50mm lens with 28-200mm equivalent in 35mm format, similar things to APS. The lens in dpreview = is considered performing more than needed cos digital sensors do not need = more than enought resolution. There're only 5 million pixels while emulsion should have more than 20 million working particles. The = characteristics of digital image is that the pixel sensors are uniform thus the data = captured can be interpolated to compensate for the loss details. Overly = resolving power does not do too much in the contribution to image quality. = Canon excels Nikon (even Contax & Leica) in most reviews merely thanks to = their image interpolation (the Digic processor).=20

So in my opinion, the lens is good; what lets us down is the digital processing (seems like we take good pictures but process the film in a poorly equipped photo lab.)

Rgds,=20 David

I am fully agreed with the views of Travis because I'm in the same boat. After investing so much of money on Dynax 9, pro lenses & accessories and allowing even a new buyer of Canon EOS 10D to overtake us in producing fast, cost effective and high quality images is intolerable.

In 1985 Minolta introduced Maxxum/Dynax/Alfha AF7000, world’s first AF SLR camera. Minolta photographers, who were using MD system could not upgrade their system because of the new AF lens mount. They have to leave all the MD lenses and buy the new AF system.
A new flash hot shoe was introduced in the year 1989 with 7xi.
In 1996 a new APS lens mount was introduced and then pro digital cameras with APS lens mount.
Whenever Minolta made new innovations, it allowed Minolta photographers the option of buying another system.
Now not a single DSLR available for Minolta photographers. Well, the trend continues….

I did not know that Travis was a pro. I am compelled to agree that if you are a professional photographer then you are in desperate need of a DSLR, and right about now, too.

I went to see a seminar run by a professional studio photographer and the way he worked (and conducted the seminar) would have been utterly impossible with conventional film cameras. For ex&le he was shooting and showing us the image in about 2 seconds; and it was shown on a big screen for all of us to see. And he no longer used a meter, he would just shoot, look at the image, and then adjust his exposure.

I have to agree that Minolta is letting the professionals down.

> Minolta have joined forces with Konica ,well known film and paper makers.lets hold our breath a little longer and see what pops out of the new alliance

David Dai states that on the 7 series lens distortion is acceptable .

Absolutly not.

Barrel distortion at the 28mm setting is worse than any camera I have owned since my first folding camera in 1958. Its also very prone to flare with strong backlight

The theory about optimised digital lenses sounds interesting, however people using Nikon, Canon etc etc are all using the same lenses they used with their SLRs very happily. Sigma digitally "optimised" lenses are sold for use with both film and digital. So I am not convinced that there is significant difference. There is a problem with a reduction in focal lenght. But now there are 35mm chips too. Manufacturers are always keen to sell new stuff to people, and often write a whole load of guff so people will part with their money.

I am, however, totally convinced that the lens on the A1 is nowhere near as good as a dedicated wide angle element, or a a dedicated 200mm pro lens. Or a pro zoom. If there were a 28-200 lens that were so good though this range, it would be made and sold as in interchangable one and would have trumped all the best lens manufacturers in the world. Zeiss, Leica, Canon would all pack up and stop working.

If Minolta brings out an DSLR system that is not compatable with our lenses, I am changing to Nikon. And so will all pro photographers who will have lost all faith in the company. I have been told that the Minolta DSLR will be based on the Dynax 7, so that is hopefull.

As for the way that photographer worked in the studio digitally. Fine. But the studio is not a typical environment for an SLR which is a general use camera. In any case photographers in the studio used polariods, so the difference is not so great.

Travis, I fully understand your position and a problematic situation. I think that MINOLTA, still did not decided "what they want to be when gron-up" - i.e. are they willing to compete at a "professional" market, or concentrate on the "procumer" market and ocasionally providing almost-pro camera but without significant backup in accessories and pro-level lenses.

IMHO the last time MINOLTA made a move on the proffesional market was with the introduction of the MAXXUM 9000, with the full range of proffesional lenses and assesories. The 9000 was the most advanced camera at its debute but unfortunately appeared when most professional photographers did not whant to even look at AF equipment, not to mention from MINOLTA.

My suspicion is that the forecomming DSLR from MINOLTA will mostly compete with CANON 300D - more a Dynax 5 equivalent than 7 or 9. This would be good news for me as a hobysist, but bad new for the professional minoltians.

IMHO the last time MINOLTA made a move on the proffesional market was with the introduction of the MAXXUM 9000,

I had a 9000 which I upgraded to a 9. The 9 is an excellent camera. As good as an F5. I don't think the 9000 was a patch on the F3/4

My suspicion is that the forecomming DSLR from MINOLTA will mostly compete with CANON 300D - more a Dynax 5 equivalent than 7 or 9. This would be good news for me as a hobysist, but bad new for the professional minoltians.

They have indicated that it will be a digital dynax 7. But the step to upgrade that to a fully pro camera 9 would be relatively small. Cameras tend to be brought out in ranges from consumer to pro-sumer.

I had a 9000 which I upgraded to a 9. The 9 is an excellent camera. As good as an F5. I don't think the 9000 was a patch on the F3/4

If I remember correctly, the F4 released much after 9000 and was first AF NIKON. In comparison to F3 - the 9000 had a mount of features the F3 did not have. The F3 was a very conservative camera. In the 80-ties, I used to work part-time as a salesman in photographic shoops. We laughed that it takes 3 hours to explain CANON T90, 2.5 hours to explain MINOLTA 9000 and 10minutes for the F3...

-----Original Message-----
From: Konica Minolta Photo Imaging U.S.A. Inc. [mailto:KMPI@smtp1.accelmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 8:00 PM
To: Robin
Subject: Konica Minolta's INTERACTIVE Q&A

Dear Customer,
In response to the question that you have submitted...
Question is : I am a Minolta photographer, using a Maxxum 9 camera, lenses and lots of accessories. I would like to know the releasing date of a pro spec. digital SLR in order to make a decision whether to wait or not. Thanks.

Answer is : At this moment in time, we do not offer a digital camera body that uses Maxxum AF lenses. And unfortunately at this juncture, we (Customer Support) do not have any information as to what our companies plans might be regarding new digital products. We are all keeping our fingers crossed, HOPING that after Minolta and Konica have merged operations, that they will start development of a digital body, one designed to use Maxxum lenses, to compete within today's higher MP ranges. But for now, the answer, we just don't know what the next 12 months will bring.

***This mailbox is for outgoing correspondence only.
We're sorry but responses to this email will not be answered.
However, if you have further questions, please click here
or return to the http://www.minoltausa.com site, choose Cameras + Accessories, Support, Interactive Q&A.
Thank you.

Back