DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Z50 Mark III

Franz Weber

Hi all,

I am owning a Z6 II for my more serious work. Currently I am look for a smaller and kighter alternative for travelin. Z50 and 18-140 seems to be the logical pathway. But I am on the not sure whether it is a reasonable investm since it is long in the teeeth and a Z50 might come out soon. I would really like to see a Z50 III with USB-C charging and a better AF system. Is the Z30 any better in this regard?

The Z30 has a more advanced focusing system and pairs really well with the 18mm-140mm lens (very portable and easy to carry). Of course the Z30 does not have an electronic viewfinder, so you have to rely on the bank screen to take photos. It is built more for video but I use the camera for both photos and videos with no problems. That being said, it is not an ideal camera for shooting birds in flight but I find it is a good travel camera.
Nikon is due to announce some new cameras shortly but all of the rumors center on a Z8 and a video centric camera.
Here are some photos I recently took with the Z30.
DSC_1200 -1sm.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON Z 30
  • NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/2000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100
DSC_1204_1sm.jpg
  • 62.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/2000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100
DSC_1199_1sm.jpg
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/2000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100
DSC_1427_1sm.jpg
  • 68.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 400

Last edited:
The Z30 has a more advanced focusing system and pairs really well with the 18mm-140mm lens (very portable and easy to carry). Of course the Z30 does not have an electronic viewfinder, so you have to rely on the bank screen to take photos. It is built more for video but I use the camera for both photos and videos with no problems. That being said, it is not an ideal camera for shooting birds in flight but I find it is a good travel camera.
Nikon is due to announce some new cameras shortly but all of the rumors center on a Z8 and a video centric camera.
Here are some photos I recently took with the Z30. View attachment 586View attachment 587View attachment 588View attachment 589

Thanks a lot Rangel28. I was not aware, that the AF system ist different on the Z30. These are great images!

Thanks! The Z30 has more focusing options like the Z6II, Z7II and Z fc while the Z50 (and original Z6 and Z7) have the first iteration focusing systems. I find that it does a very nice job tracking fast moving stuff, like my dogs. The biggest downside is a lack of a EVF, which can be a challenge, especially in very sunny conditions. I usually adjust the screen monitor to make it brighter, or tilt it down when it's very bright and sunny. The good news is that the Z30 and the 18mm-140mm lens is very small and light and can easily be held out in front of you (like a cell phone) when taking photos.

Hi all,

I am owning a Z6 II for my more serious work. Currently I am look for a smaller and kighter alternative for travelin. Z50 and 18-140 seems to be the logical pathway. But I am on the not sure whether it is a reasonable investm since it is long in the teeeth and a Z50 might come out soon. I would really like to see a Z50 III with USB-C charging and a better AF system. Is the Z30 any better in this regard?
I like my Z50, especially since I discovered I can readily adapt Sony APS-C lenses to it. It can be had in the 500 range used.

Hey I realized I should keep my user name close.

I use Megadap ETZ21. works well so far. I have 10-18mm, 18-200, 55-210, 18-105/4 all seem native and works great.

Love my Z50. Together with the 16-50 and the 50-250 it is a lightweight kit delivering really great quality files.

Love my Z50. Together with the 16-50 and the 50-250 it is a lightweight kit delivering really great quality files.

Agree. I bought the ZFc version as a "goof around" camera, mostly on impulse due to vintage looks plus its small size... but I find it to be a really great image maker. The 16-50 is by far the best kit zoom I've ever used.

Back