DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

2x APO ExtenderR

G

I have a non-ROM version of the 2x APO Extender-R. There seems to be some confusion (at least to me!) as to its compatability with ROM lenses. Does anyone have any ideas? I am only really interested in using it with the 100mm 2.8 and the 80-200mm 4.0, both of mine are the ROM versions. To be fair I have asked Leica in NJ and they told me don't mix ROM with non-ROM. It's just I noticed that some of the lens instructions mention it and some don't. Also non-ROM lenses work with the R8 body, I would have though the principal would be the same. I should probably just take their word for it, but I was curious if anyone had been told different.

Many thanks

Hi Steve - there are two models - the 11236 and the 11237 which is compatible only for the Leicaflex Series - which one is yours?

Best regards

Joseph Low

Joseph,

That's the non-APO version.

Steve is asking about the APO.

Lucien

> [ There is only one way to use a non-ROM extender with a ROM lens. > First mount the extender onto your camera body. This will move away a > lever that will otherwise knock against the ROM contacts if you mount > the extender straight onto the lens. With the extender mounted onto > the R8 body, now mount your ROM lens. You will find that it will mount > and you can also shoot with this combination. > > James Khor ]

>Steve, I have the APO x2 Extender-R, and also the 100mm 2.8 Apo Macro. The >instructions say that it shouldn't be used with the Extender, so I never >have. I've used it successfully with a number of other R lenses, but find >I usually need a tripod because of the loss of stops.

I'll check my instructions on the 100mm 2.8. This was one of the ones I thought was ambiguous. I may have missed it.

It could be time to part with the extender as it isn't giving really giving me much more flexibity and I would hate to risk lens damage.

>The warning was in the booklet that came with my f2.8 100mm APO Macro >lens. I've also seen a slight but noticeable drop in sharpness when using >the Extender with my other lenses. It's acceptable, but if you're an f64 >fanatic it would be a worry.

>Best regards

Back