DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

50f2 Summircon DR

patrickngai

Do you find the quality of this lens is good? Do you think CF function is practical in yr daily photo experience? Any difference between the one with feet/meter (red) engraved in the barrel and the one with feet only?

thanks

It's an excellent lens. THe only detriment is that the NF feature doesn't work on *MY* M7 (your mileage may vary), so it's limited to 1meter which wasn't quite close enough. So I bought the latest Summicron, which is fantastic.

The older DR has better resolution. The new Summicron has higher contrast.

Dear Patrick,

It is a lens I would not be without. The DR Summicron has the classic Leica qualities of sharpness without harshness.

The latest lenses are bordering on the latter.

Have fun.

Justin

Hi, I've just the same opinion: it's a lens you jus can't leave home without (unless you are going to shoot Nikon
blush.gif
).
I was really astonished the first time I made some portraits with that lens: great sharpness and low contrast, a combination that you have to see.
I find it unbeatable for human subjects and an excellent lens overall but I never tried it in close focus capability not having the separate bugeyes.
I've bought it used with some cleaning marks on the front lens (you need a loupe to see 'em but they are there) for less than 100 € so it's also a bargain lens compared to the actual S'cron.
Ciao
k

Paolo,

Malcolm Taylor in the UK can remove the "cleaning marks" and recoat your lens, The older lenses do benefit from recoating. If you think it is good now, wait until it has a CLA and recoat!

There is a popular misconception that cameras need servicing, but lenses do not. Let me tell you from experience, even the best cared for lens accumulates debris on the internal elements and other effects of time.

Regards to all.

Justin

Justin,
What is your experience with the early (1960) 90mm Summicron for the M? I think I remember you posted a picture where you had it mounted on a Leicaflex SL. Does this lens also have that original Leica quality you often mention?
Thank you

Juan

Dear Justin,
Thanks a lot for the information on recoating: it is surely something that deserves attention.
My only doubt regards the costs of such a job: do you have any ideas on the amount of money involved?
Nevertheless in general I totally agree with you that also lens need servicing.
Thanks for the info

ciao
k

Dear Juan,

The 1960 1:2/90 Summicron most certainly has the classic Leica picture quality. It feels like a big lens on an M camera, but fits well on the Leicaflex. There seems to be general agreement among a lot of people that the three "greats" were the 8 element 1:2/35 Summicron (I), the Dual-Range 1:2/50 Summicron and the 90mm Summicron we are discussing.

Paolo and Patrick,

I am presently having two lenses recoated and the estimate is seventy UK Pounds per lens. I imagine the cost relates to how many air/glass surfaces are being treated. Both of mine are modified triplets, so six surfaces.

It does not change what I believe to be the character of the lens at all. There is an increase in colour saturation and a reduction of flare, particularly when shooting towards the light. Coating can also be a little over-rated. If we only took photographs with the light behind us and with a decent lens-hood on a triplet lens, coating would almost be unnecessary, however it is beneficial in capturing the dramatic and interesting shots with strong side or back light.

Must go.

Justin

Back