DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A rumour but then I have been right twice before

Kaisern, 35/1.4 N ?!

If N, then from your lips to Contax's ears.

With a 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 you can do a LOT of people photography available light.

Guillaume, yes that would also be nice to see.

But judging from the size of the current N long zoom and relative size of the N 17-35/2.8, such a N mount lens from Contax would be huge don't you think?

I also fear that long lens work is becoming the domaine of the big manufacturers due to IS and VR technologies. They are quite amazing, and the lenses themselves are getting better and better. Not to the level of Zeiss quality, but a lot closer. And when you factor in Image Stabilization, many more keepers are produced than from non-stabilized longer zooms and primes.

I'd really like to see a nice 135/2 APO or 180/2.8 APO that was compact as possible.

But in the end, if Contax does opt for a 1.3X or 1.5X digital ( based on the NX?), then wider lenses will be the issue. The 17-35/2.8 will unbalance any smaller body. Perhaps a zoom similar to Canon's new 17-40/4 L will be needed to compete in the Prosumer digital market. That Canon lens is getting rave reviews as one of the best Canon has ever produced and is selling like hotcakes.

Yes, producing a wide angle zoom 1_mm~3_mm/_._~_._ is a sensible move compared to a fixed wide angle lens. Using asperic elements to maintain quality while keeping price low (for prosumers) will be a challenge.

Now that 1.3x or 1.5x digital Nxes become a possibility, their current fixed lenses 50/85/100 gets shifted to 65/110/130 (or 75/127/150). Rather wierd dont you think?

Features wise, I dare not hope for Canon 10D's specs. Compare Sony's V1 and TVS digital and you'll see how far behind Contax is.

"...Now that 1.3x or 1.5x digital Nxes become a possibility..."

Who is saying that a new N-digital body will NOT have a fullsize chip?

It would not make sense to offer anything else than fullsize chip for an N-mount camera. The whole philosophy of the N-system would get jeopadize with a smaller chip.

This is different, if there would be a digital Contax available based on the manual focus C/Y mount, i.e. a kind of a digital RX.

Dirk

Regarding wish list for N-mount lenses. I would wish that Contax would offer realistic prices in Europe for the whole N-system. Europe is currently the cash cow in terms of price levels for Kyocera.

Neither in the US, nor in Japan the prices are that high. And than they complain that it is not selling that well in Europe. Just a consequence of their price policy.

I would also wish more fixed focal lenses. But not too extreme. No 1.4 something. Just give us the plain vanilla stuff with aperture of 2.8 but excellent image quality and a size, weight and price tag we can afford and carry.

Lets be honest. Who would pay for a N35/1.4 3000 USD? And who would like to carry it around and getting looked at like a medium format shooter.

Prices have to come down to the equivalent of the manual focus system. If Kyocera does not change this, they will not be able to sell enough gear to make a reasonable profit.

Dirk

Dirk, I think the notion of an under $2,000. N Digital led to the speculation that it would most likely not be a full sized chip.

It would be a good marketing move if they were successful at doing a full sized chip at that price. Then the lenses would all work as is.

How does the 24-85 N work with the NX? Is it balanced, or does the lens dwarf the camera?

Why would a 35/1.4 N be too large? And why would it cost $3,000.? Wouldn't it be more like $1,000. to 1,300.? For ex&le, the Canon 35/1.4L version fits nicely on the 10D.

I would kill for a Zeiss 35/1.4 for my N1 and ND. The manual version was quite a performer with floating elements and all.

I would absolutely love a 35/1.4 and a 135/2 - put me on the list ...

DJ

Back