DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Adding lenses

B

binary

How does adding lens to my C740 work? If I attach a CLA-4 lens tube does it make it a 55mm sized slot so that I should look for a 55mm sized lens then? (And use step-up rings if I need larger diameter)
There are so many lenses in http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/lensgroup.htm would SLR lenses work on a digital camera?

Hope I don't sound stupid, I'm sooo an amateur

Uh.
I have no idea with regards to your digicam, however you won't be able to use Olympus OM-System lenses (the ones listed on that link) on your camera (It's not an OM-System camera).

If your camera is anything like the norm, the 55mm thread is for adding supplementary lenses such tele, wide or macro attachments. Olympus does a range and there are some available from independant manufacturers. You can also attach colour and polarising filters and I guess there would be nothing to stop you using the square Cokin filters too with a 55mm mount.

SLRs have interchangeable lenses: you take one lens off and put another on to get different angles of coverage, wider apertures, etc. Every SLR line has its own lens mount; you cannot normally swap lenses between an OM-4, a Canon EOS, a Nikon, etc., though you can swap lenses between different bodies, film or digital, within one family.

With the exception of the new E-1 (which has a new lens mount), no Olympus digital camera has interchangeable lenses. You can sometimes augment the range of a digital camera's built-in zoom by adding wide-angle or telephoto adapters, which attach in front of the lens (and which normally require lenses with threaded front elements to hold these adapters or filters). I don't know offhand if such adaptors are usable with a C740.

I assume that the "lens tube" you refer to is an extension tube, normally placed between an interchangeable lens and camera body for ultra close-up work. Without lens interchangeability, that won't work, either.

Thanks everyone.
And yes, the CLA-4 would just enhance the current built-in lens and allow for filters.

Am more enlightened now!

Back