DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Birmingham with K7

I think #1 is a good street image.

I realize street shooting is often a collection of images to give an impression, but still, #1 is [to me] a strong one.

Collectively the framing is 3/10. None imho are really worth a second look.. You can do better.. Selectively should be your keyword—
Hello

Goodbye.

Regards Dino26323
I like #1 and #4... some potential there. I see the shutter speed below the pics... but no aperture. Can you get that info on the EXIF line?
Hello
My Samyang 135mm does not connect electronically even though it is supposed to. I tried 2 copies. Fortunately I decided to keep it anyway because the images looked good after some testing on landscapes and yes bokeh looked quite good actually at the time of testing. Most all the time I shoot wide open. Yes sometimes this is wrong on some shots and I should have stopped down but on the streets there is not time for too much complex changing settings. Some building shots at infinity I stop down to F4 or F5.6 and this gets a better image because of many reasons.
I know many are not all that great and many are ordinary but I like to keep it going and that motivates me.
There are a lot of people approaching me just lately and this has lead to some great posed or controlled photos. This is partly because I shoot so often. It is a journey and the posted photos are only part of the journey.

Regards Dino26323

Here are more from Friday last. A bit of colour is ok when colour is to my liking. This is something also that may be wrong if other people see the photos/
Many people would choose colour more often. I have my reasons. I most always prefer BW except for wildlife insects and flowers sometimes.

IMGP4064-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/250 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 400

IMGP4073-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/350 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

IMGP4092-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/350 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

IMGP4126-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/20 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

IMGP4203-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/180 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

All K7 135mm Wide open except blurry skater at F5.6.

Regards Dino26323

Here are more from Friday.

IMGP4157-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/250 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP4165-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/250 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP4198-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/180 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP4290-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 135.0 mm
  • 1/45 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP4323-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 135.0 mm
  • 1/20 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

K7 and 135mm

Regards Dino26323

And here Today's shots.
Not many taken today because 1. I waited half an hour for a bloke to collect his 10x8 street shots that I had printed for him. And then 2. another guy asked a lot of questions and told me he could get me a modelling shoot for clothes and I shot his photo and that was another half an hour gone. It left me very little shooting time. I just about have 5 from today to post that are not too far below my normal average 5.

IMGP4402-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/350 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP4418-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/350 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP4455-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/350 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP4463-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/350 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP4472-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/350 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

Regards Dino26323

I realize "street" shooting is historically B/W, and it works well there. But I find I like your use of color on the first four.

A question for @Dino26323 . You may have answered already. Most of your images are B&W and you have a K3 Monochrome, so why are using the K-7 more?
Thanks,
barondla

I realize "street" shooting is historically B/W, and it works well there. But I find I like your use of color on the first four.
To be honest there are some that work in colour just as well as black and white even though they are different versions of the same thing. It is 50/50 on some of the photos always just as it is with some landscapes also 50/50 at times. .
Most photos I prefer black and white but that is my opinion. It is likely not the opinion of many other people given the choice.
Some rare photos stand out and are clearly better in colour and I have posted some at times.
This was a strange day shooting with very few shots taken so that might be why I found myself using colour versions but I do not know really exactly.
The girl turned around is fantastic in colour and the bike really was warm late lighting which was very beautiful colours.

Basically most people prefer my shots in colour and sometimes I agree with them.

Regards Dino26323

A question for @Dino26323 . You may have answered already. Most of your images are B&W and you have a K3 Monochrome, so why are using the K-7 more?
Thanks,
barondla
Well there are a thousand words I could say and bore you to death.
Basically most of all K7 is not such an attractive camera to steal from me. It is not worth it for a criminal. That is number one reason. Hope they leave me alone.
Reason Two it is very capable as are all cameras post K7.
Reason three. I only print 18x12 street shots and to be honest even if I printed bigger then resolution does not need to be too fantastic. Even a D700 does some days for me with lowly 12 megapixels. K7 does not seem to me inadequate.

Regards the mono see reason one above. I shoot daily 5 days and social media will tell everyone if I am shooting a mono everyday. Not a good idea every day me thinks. If I shot just occasionally then why not but I shoot 5 days and social media tells everyone what I shoot.

K7 is way way way better than my K20 with Samyang lenses manually focussing. Not every camera can do street photography with my Samyang lenses.

Mono is a great camera and I may use it at some point but yes you are stuck with mono which may not always be the right way to shoot street shots always.

K1 with 85mm is one I need to try too at street photography.

645D got a great street shot recently. It is a couple portrait true but it is definitely a street shot because of how i did it and location. I can shoot anything on the streets and get every camera to work a different approach. K01 is fantastic at Street Photography. I am not too fussed.

Regards Dino26323

Back