DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Blue Heron liftoff in the Dutch polderland

Poldersnapper

Hi all,

A blue heron liftoff to begin my presence here.
Fujifilm X-T3 and f2.8 16mm.
Good to see you all :)(y)

André

23-04-19J-DPR.jpg
  • FUJIFILM - X-T3
  • XF16mmF2.8 R WR
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 160

Grey Heron I think. Great Blue Heron (GBH) is often seen on forums but it is an American species that would be a major rarity in the Netherlands. Your bird has no sign of rufous on the thighs which is a feature of the GBH.

Grey Heron I think. Great Blue Heron (GBH) is often seen on forums but it is an American species that would be a major rarity in the Netherlands. Your bird has no sign of rufous on the thighs which is a feature of the GBH.
Thanks, it is called 'blauwe reiger' in Dutch which means blue heron, hence my mistake.
I am not an expert but grey heron must be the correct translation :)

André

Thanks, it is called 'blauwe reiger' in Dutch which means blue heron, hence my mistake.
I am not an expert but grey heron must be the correct translation :)

André
That’s interesting. Maybe it’s a good reminder that the Latin names are usually more easily discussed across the world. For this bird it’s Ardea cinerea. Cinerea is Latin for grey so at least that is helpful.
Mind you even the Latin names can be changed if a new species are created by splitting off a former subspecies. There’s a lot of splitting and rearrangement going on as the use of DNA testing shows up new relationships. There used to be about 10,000 species but it’s up to nearly 11,000 now.

That’s interesting. Maybe it’s a good reminder that the Latin names are usually more easily discussed across the world. For this bird it’s Ardea cinerea. Cinerea is Latin for grey so at least that is helpful.
Mind you even the Latin names can be changed if a new species are created by splitting off a former subspecies. There’s a lot of splitting and rearrangement going on as the use of DNA testing shows up new relationships. There used to be about 10,000 species but it’s up to nearly 11,000 now.
I must admit they keep changing the binomial names of the UK Orchidaceae so often, I find the common English names more useful

Nice shot André!

Back