DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Buy Panasonic g9 or g9ii

The weight of the original G9. And the new G9.2 are exactly the same to the gram.
Size wise, within a mm, L W H, no difference.

You are correct. They are almost the same size (G9 is 137 x 97 x 92 mm vs. G9ii/S5ii with 134 x 102 x 90 mm). I meant from the feeling.

I find my G9 Mk1 does not "feel" as big as my S5ii (G9MK2 and S5ii have the same body). The handling is very different.

PXL_20240516_080855806_copy_1600x900.jpg
  • Google - Pixel 8 Pro
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.68
  • 1/24 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 593

PXL_20240516_080933437~2_copy_1600x1460.jpg
  • Google - Pixel 8 Pro
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.68
  • 1/24 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 488

Last edited:
Yes, there are several things that I like at the G9 body layout more than at the S5ii/G9ii body.

on/off switch
top LCD screen
viewfinder-size button

But there are also things I like better with the S5ii/G9ii

Placement of the front wheel

All 3 do not have a tiltung screen, which is what I prefere.

The S5ii/G9ii feels like a camera, the G9 Mk1 feels like a glove.

All 3 do not have a tiltung screen, which is what I prefere.
It may not be a big deal for many, but tilting screen is priceless when You shoot from a tripod. Especially (but not only) at higher elevation angle like night sky photo or so. This allows using smaller/lower tripods which have their value when You need travel ultralite. You may have Your camera closer to the ground and You don't need to dive under low tripod to operate it.
Regards,
-J.

It may not be a big deal for many, but tilting screen is priceless when You shoot from a tripod. Especially (but not only) at higher elevation angle like night sky photo or so. This allows using smaller/lower tripods which have their value when You need travel ultralite. You may have Your camera closer to the ground and You don't need to dive under low tripod to operate it.
Regards,
-J.
Indeed, tilting screen is extremely useful when it is hard or impossible to look into the viewfinder or watch the screen at a usable angle. Also often for macro shots where the camera has to be be in an awkward position.

I much prefer a tilting screen too, but to be honest, even with an articulating screen, we are able to make these shots. I just do not like it, if the screen is sitting on the left side of the camera body. But this is a personal thing.

If you make videos of yourself like a vlogger, a tilting screen would be a "no-go".

+1 tilting screen is invaluable, and the one on the OM-5 is excellent as it flips out to one side and also rotates, so it can face forward (and yes the display rights itself) to do selfies or vlogs. I use it mainly when shooting at waist level and below.

Another solution - which I think was almost unique - was Panasonics tilting EVF for the little LX5 compact, it allowed you to get right down in the grass if you wished.

The GH6 has a combo screen. It will either tilt or swing out. The S1H has a screen like this and I used it a lot when I had that camera. But that combo is a big lug of a screen and not something you could put on a smaller camera. Panasonic did a much better job with the GH6 screen, but it is still pretty bulky and it didn't carry over to the G9II. It would be nice if they could come up with something smaller that would work both ways.

Back