DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Canon 20D with 70200 f4 lens

C

ciaran999

Hi, I've been testing my 20D with a Canon 70-200 f4 lens. I've found the results to be varying to say the least - especially at 200. Over 50 percent of my photos are soft/blurred/not focused when shooting in P or M modes... the results seem better in other modes ....
I've tested with a tripod also - but it hasn't really helped significantly.

Is it possible I have something configured incorrently that would affect these modes???????

I have a 17-85 EF-S and get great results....

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Have fun,
Ciaran.

My EF 70-200 f/4L is amazingly sharp with my 20D when the Sun is out. I went to the Malibu Lagoon and proceeded to take pictures 30 minutes after Sunset . The photos were horrid and blurry even with a tripod. I have the EF 24-70 f/2.8L lens and it performs wonderfully on low-light situations. I'm seriously thinking of selling my 70-200 and replacing it for the f/2.8L IS version.

Have you done the firmware update? There was a problem with earlier 20D's that caused a lockup. This was fixed on V1.0.5, but there is a newer version out now on Canons website. This may fix your lockup problems.

Hi Ren Soriano,

I own a 70-200 2.8 IS Lense. The results are great. I also have the 2x extender. The photos came out sharp.

With the 17-85mm I used it at night clubs under low light. and I was very happy with the photos. very clear.

Back