DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News Canon 3rd Party

chipman

CR tells us there a new RF lens with AF -
Suddenly everyone is giddy with the thought that Sigma and Tamron lens are on their way -
I like -
WOW, that’s a clear indication that Sigma and Tamron are coming next with their lenses.
I just don't see that happening. Sony has a chunk of Tamron. Canon is not going to give their biggest competitor more profit.
And Sigma used a legal loophole to make faux EF lens and take a boatload of profit from Canon. Can't see Canon helping them make more money.
I could be wrong. Won't be the first time.

Canon is like the leopard that cannot change its spots - they have launched no less than nine RP camera bodies since July 2020 and they are all basically faux-dslr style made into every price point on the market.

Just when you have finished drooling over their latest whizz-bang in your hands and paid off your credit card - another of basically much the same but more exciting is announced.

Of course nobody is obliged to buy one.

I cannot really say that Sony and Nikon are any different in their marketing philosophy or that the vast camera market out there would wish it otherwise.

I cannot really say that Sony and Nikon are any different in their marketing philosophy or that the vast camera market out there would wish it otherwise.

There is the advantage of smaller niche players like Panasonic, Leica and Sigma with their L-Mount fullframe cameras. You do not have to worry that your purchase of today is in 3 months outdated because of a newer model. Very relaxing.

There is the advantage of smaller niche players like Panasonic, Leica and Sigma with their L-Mount fullframe cameras. You do not have to worry that your purchase of today is in 3 months outdated because of a newer model. Very relaxing.
Agreed. I have come to appreciate that M4/3 has 'made a business' out of making multiple sizes and type of camera bodies.

I have generated an image about being somewhat overcome by the Panasonic GM5 but I also have the GX7->GX9 and G9 bodies as well. Recently the G100 was on sale here in Australia at a very interesting price which allowed me to try it and I found it yet another very interesting niche camera body from Panasonic. Not at all restricted to V-Logging and other video use which the promotion was suggesting. But for a relatively expensive entry-level video product it had no attraction for me. But at AUD$500 body-only it was worth a gamble and I think I won. Great little cart-about stills-shooter. Makes up for being nearly the size of a GX9 by being quite light by comparison - just the lighter-feel as I have not compared them on the scales as of yet.

There has been quite a wail about the need for an updated GM5 as basically unique as a full-function stills camera with access to a wide range of compatible lenses. With the Panasonic camera bodies that I have I can mix and match lenses with compatible and different size/capability camera bodies. No other mount system allows this level of versatility.

There is a certain method in Panasonic's 'madness'. To add any more consumer conveniences into a GM5 is the process of making it physically larger - think of the G100 as an updated, cheaper build, GM5 with larger evf and a side hinged lcd. It serves a different purpose and is very nearly the physical size of the GX9.

If they updated the GM5 (properly the exact same size/function) it would necessarily only be sensor and firmware. As it is long-lasting expensive build these things were designed and have been used happily for a long life cycle. The GM was launched nearly ten years ago and my own 'GM fleet' is still functioning well and I can reasonably expect them to last for some time yet.

So with any niche product there is only a certain sales volume for that niche and once satisfied if these cameras are long lasting there will only be late-comer buyers and lower price will be the energising method to keep sales volume moving. But what about the 'update' with much the same thing market - the one so assiduously milked by Canon-Nikon-Sony? Well, the GM5 with only a new sensor and current firmware support would have to be an expensive upgrade and for those present happy GM'ers might decide if their present GM is not broken then they might be in no hurry to expensively swap up for 'just a sensor exchange'. So without a new GM-convert market of any substantial size and current users holding back because of the price it is surely going to be a hard act to follow.

However when the GM bodies start wearing out then the replacement market might kick in and Panasonic just might be more interested in having another try.

Is ten years long enough? Well my GM bodies are still imaging as well as they ever did and seem to be happy to keep working away for some time yet.

Back