DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Carl Zeiss Lenses for Other Mounts

Hi Cristian,
I read that this was the reason for the smaller Nikon sensor but I am not sufficiently rechnical to know the why's for it. I think it may be to do with needing enough space to allow the light rays to hit the sensor at a perpendicular angle. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I read the article.
As Denton says, Kodak made a full frame sensor for use with Nikon lenses (and for Canon latterly I think). That is is a good point although I think it did not work very well.
Maybe as Marc says, Nikon will solve it in time.
John

I trust that this appropriate for the Canon 5d forum. Which contax (Zeiss lenses) may be mounted on the 5d? I realize that the lenses will not be auto focus, but are there any that will work on the camera?

I am planning on buying a 5D soon.

Hi Richard,

you can mount EVERY new Zeiss lens via adapter on a Canon 5D. There are currently only the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 known to be offered soon. But Zeiss mentiuones in his article, that the are planning many more lenses around for Photokina.

And Zeiss knows about the weakness of Canon in the wideangle area. We have discussed this several times with Zeiss within the last 18 months. So I am expecting more to come specifically in the WA area
happy.gif

Yeah ... most Canon users are really only interested in Zeiss wide-angle lenses, such as the 21mm Distagon. A Zeiss 50 or 85 is not so attractive. Besides, there are rumors that Canon will be releasing a 50/1.2L and/or 85/1.4L. Hopefully it will be announced at PMA or Photokina show this year.

Canon has superb lenses from 135mm and beyond, so there is no need for Canon users to look at Zeiss lenses in the telephoto range.

Back